Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on heavy chisels

Options
  • 20-02-2009 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi

I want to put together a "good" basic hand tool kit for working with large timbers and for doing lots of reading and google searchs its seems the preferred chisels are socket chisel.

The first choice seems to be the Framing chisels from Barr Quarton, barrtools.com next are Henry Taylor chisels.

I have been unable to locate the barr tools chisels anywhere in europe, so I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations on really good heavy chisels suitable for oak timber framing.

I would also be interested in hearing recommendations for a slick and drawknife and carpenters axe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Not sure if these are what you have in mind chisel wise,I got the 10 piece set last year and I can vouch that they are indeed robust and seem good quality,although I haven't used them for any very heavy work.Although they are socket chisels handle wise,as you can see their completly different than your preferences,but cheaper for the complete set than one of the Barr's.Might be worth the investment. Dick biz do a range of draw knives nad axes,worth a browse.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

yes barr do lovely tools, but very expensive. I use two draw knives, a set of heavy duty socket chisels and two slicks ( Slicks are the dogs blx). All that cost me about 200. I'll post a pic and tell ya where I got them in the morning.

Bought two draw knives from Goughs off Capel Street, a small Swedish one and a big Footprint one. Got the slicks and Socket chisels form Ebay UK. Prices are higher in the US cos there is more demand for quality framing tools, especially Slicks and Slices ( a bigger slick). Search on Ebay Uk for socket chisels and slicks ( Fulton are a good make). You can get good old socket chisels from the UK, they were used a lot for sash window making. Are you working green oak? You can re grind an ordinary axe/ hachet for hogging off stock. Hope this helps, good hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ger

Thanks for the info guys.

This is all pretty new to me, coming from an IT/Admin background and having no carpentry skills, its hard to know where to start.

I found a traditional green oak timber framing course in the UK and really enjoyed it, anyone here done any heavy timber framing?

I did a bit when I lived in the States, it'll give you a work out! I have three very good books on timber framing all written by American guys, but I can't remember their titles and I won't be home for a week. I'll post the names of them next week.I built some stuff in Ireland from 4x8's but that would be the biggest timber I've worked here.
    You know the Japanese do a lot of timber framing too? mostly on cedar I think, some of their splice joints are amazing feats of engineering.
    What are you building/working on if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ger

Any titles about timber framing would be great, I have a growing library here.

I have ordered a lot of material from the timber framers guild in the US, including some DVDs, one of which is building a tea house in Japan. Will look up more about the Japanese method of timber framing.

Not working on anything yet, just starting to learn, and would hope that when I have the confidence and a bit more experience, I would like to build a workshop first and see how that does before going bigger.

Still have a lot to learn about wood, what are the most suitable woods to work with and even the marking and cutting of joints is all new to me and am looking forward to it all.

I'm in the boonies in the mountains of Spain at the mo and having all sorts of uploading/'net problemos.I'll try posting tomorrrow, with some more info.

Found those books:
    Building the Timber Frame House .Tedd Benson...loads of line drawings, great book.
    Timber Frame Construction: All about Post and Beam Building...Jack A. Sobon. great read too.The Bible according to some.
    Those two are traditional , big timbers, corner braces and slicks.
    Timber Framing for the rest of us....A guide to Contemporary Post and Beam. Rob Roy
    More modern methods, though not necessarily better or more aesthetically appealing.

Some great house and workshop plans in Benson's book.

Advertisement