Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any suggestions for leaving for awhile?

Options
  • 20-02-2009 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm 35, single, no ties and have quite a bit of savings. I have no real qualifications. Didn't go to college. I've worked in an office (motor trade) for 8 years, retail management for 2 years and in a warehouse for 7 years.
    I may be losing my job soon.
    What really makes me sick is I didn't go to Canada a few months ago with a friend of mine went to Vancouver for a year and I didn't cause I didn't want the hassle of looking for a job when I got back. I think I'm too old now for the Canada visa. I'm 36 soon.
    Are there any options I have for going away for a year or am I too old? I hate even writing that cause I don't feel old. Any way for me to go to Canada?
    I'd really appreciate and ideas or help.
    Feck you recession!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

There are lots of options. You just have to rethink your strategy a bit. Do you just want to go to Canada? Would you consider the UK, Scandinavia, Holland?
    You'd get by with just English....

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

Go to thailand!

Live like a king or queen for next to nothing....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭deathstarkiller

I was looking at Canada cause my best mate is over there and he says he's having a great time.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Can you get work visas for those countries mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You don't need any sort of visa for the UK, Scandinavia or Holland (or any other EU member state). You just get on a plane and go. You will have various rules about registration in each country (but they must allow you as an irish citizen to register and indeed work if you can get a job) but once registered you're all set. Look at fun places which are cheap to live in so that if you can't get work, you can still enjoy yourself for a year.

Advertisement