Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you recommend this?

Options
  • 20-02-2009 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Hi I would like to get opinions on some red and white wine we might use for our wedding:

White: 120 Santa Rita Chardonnay 2007
    Red: Santa Rita Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon 2004

There was also another new wine:
    Augustinos Cabernet Sauvingon
    Augustinos Sauvignon Blanc
    - but I don't know where I could get them to taste them

For the Santa Rita, I can get something similar to taste in the supermarket, but it isn't the same year. (I've no idea if this matters or not?)
    I wasn't going to buy the red to taste, but maybe some might recommend doing this?

Would love to hear peoples opinions on the Santa Rita in particular. Would it be a good all rounder, or would I be better off paying €20 for the hotel's house wine, which are also Chilean?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

Hi,

The vintage from wineries as big as Santa Rita shouldn't change too much. They blend and blend and blend until they find a consistent taste each year.

I would say taste them anyway to be sure they are right for you. Beware of house wines from hotels. They buy as cheap as cheap can be and ride you for the margin.

If you come across Santa Gloria grab a bottle of it to try. Superior to Santa Rita, probably because it's sourced from much smaller vineyards. We got our hands on Santa Alicia, Chilean winery of the year, 2007, and these guys raise the bar again.

Best of luck anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

If hotel will accept corkage it's often cheaper to buy up north, certainly my friends saved a packet doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Trust me the hotel's house wines will be complete plonk the cheapest they can get they're charging you €20 for a bottle of wine that cost them €5-€7 at most. Santa Rita is overrated. Best mid priced Chilean I've had is Ventisquero Cab Sauv / Chardonnay. You may not be able to get it directly but if you know anyone who owns a bar or restaurant they may be able to get it for you.
    Where were you planning on buying the wine? You'll pay through the nose for big names like Santa Rita. If you buy in the right place you shouldn't be paying more than €7-€10 a bottle IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

If you like Chilean wine (and what's not to like?) see if you can find the Cousino-Macul wines. They do a brilliant range called Antiguas Reservas, which is the best value wine I've seen in a long time. Not sure of price/availablity in Ireland, but down here in NZ they go for about $18 (maybe EUR7-8). Best quality to price ratio I've come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

Thanks for the replies, I tasted the Santa Rita 120 at the weekend and compared it to the hotel wine.
    Both were nice but the hotel wine was a bit sharp.
    Haven't opened the reds yet.
    If I can negotiate the hotel corkage down from €10 to €8 a bottle I will be doing well.
    You can buy the Santa Rita and others from Bennetts wine warehouse in Warrenpoint. They have a good few bottles at £5.99 stg. a bottle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement