Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pubs in waterford city!

Options
  • 20-02-2009 2:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hi! am headin to waterford for weekend and want to know what are best pubs?? am staying in tower hotel!:D
    also wondering which pub wud be best to go to watch man utd match! lol!:P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Don't listen to what some naysayers may post, Geoffs in the Applemarket is still one of the best pubs in the city. Its only a 5-10 min walk from the Tower. When you leave the Tower, walk left down the Cork Rd, go through a set of 2 set of traffic lights (one of them is the one just on the corner of the hotel), keep walking until you pass St. Johns church on your left and you'll come to another crossroads. Turn right and it's just a bit further up on your left, opposite the Kasbar. You can't miss it.

As for the match, Alfie Hales might be your best bet. That ones literally right behind the Tower on Lombard St.

Here's a little map to help ya

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭RodVelvet

Is Alfies not closed or has it openen up again?

Personally I would watch the match in either Revolution or Masons which is near enough in proximity to Geoffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shaabaa

Dats great thanks! dat map will be a good help to find my way around!! wat r dey like on say a sat nite? is dere any good clubs? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Deise59 sending you to a pub that's been closed about 2 years + at this stage lol Can you really trust the geoffs info too?

Revolution for pub grub...kazbar is cool too. Masons for the match...Ruby Lounge for live music afterwards. Geoffs if you've forgotton to bring a clean pair of clothes and are worrying about what pubs might serve you in your transient state.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

shaabaa wrote: »
    Dats great thanks! dat map will be a good help to find my way around!! wat r dey like on say a sat nite? is dere any good clubs? :P

House and Techno DJ's in Electric Ave on Sat
    Standard cattle-mart nightclubs in Muldoons & *shudder* upstairs in Ruby Lounge.
    Indie/Rock/Quirkiness in the Forum, in the Glen.

By the way. Txt speak is kind of frowned on in this forum.

Have a good one,

Nathan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Depends what you're after. I wouldn't be a fan of Geoff's - If I'm going to a pub, I'd much rather be able to have a chat and a pint than have to shout over whatever 'alternative' music is popular at the moment. Then again, I wouldn't be a fan of a lot of places about town.

Alfies' is closed, and no sign of reopening.

Counterpointaud's covered some bases for you up there. Check out Downes if you get a chance. More of a relaxed place for a pint. Not sure if the match'll be on in there but I'm sure it will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

revolutions for the match,lovely bit of grub to munch whilst watching it.

basically any pub in vincity of john street in the night time, ya can hardly miss the pubs in town as most of them are situated around roughly the same street.

:eek: Alfies closed?! Jaysus I've been away from home too long! Masons would be a good spot for the match then yeah.

I'll agree it depends what time of pub you're looking for. You may not find a quiet relaxing pint in Geoffs, but it does have the best atmosphere imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Geoffs is probably the best pub in Waterford, objectively. It's the place with atmosphere and charm that all the touristy guides would mention, as well as being popular with the alternative set.

Downses is your quiet, old world pub on Thomas st. T&H Doolans for trad. Masons, Kazbar or Revolution at the junction (of John st. and Parnell st.) for live matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

is Alfie Hales on Ballybricken closed as well

The Wacky Apple is nice as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Check out Downes if you get a chance. More of a relaxed place for a pint. Not sure if the match'll be on in there but I'm sure it will.

Are you sure? :D

God Ted, I'm no good at answering questions...or am I?

OP, The Woodman is good for watching games too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

gscully wrote: »
    Are you sure? :D

God Ted, I'm no good at answering questions...or am I?

OP, The Woodman is good for watching games too.

Bah.

Pre-12 on a Friday, I'm allowed to not make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shaabaa

Thanks, revolution sounds the best place for the match as its the one that has been mentioned the most and its close to the hotel that im stayin in!
    cant wait for my weekend away now!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭aws

Alfies in ballybricken wasnt closed last friday i was in it, and have seen people coming and going during the week. I think Alfies has a Man U supporters club in there, so should be a good few in for the match. Then you could go across the road to the Tap Room, nice crowd in there sat afternoon and beside bookies too (lovely pint of guiness too). Then maybe down to the Wacky Apple. Personally dont like Geoffs to many posers in there. Some good bands upstairs in the Kazbar too most saturdays.

No one said that Alfies on Ballybricken was closed. OP Revolution, Geoffs, MAsons, Woodman and Kazbar are all within about 20 seconds of each other.

Masons is the best venue in waterford for watching the big games (last year's champions league final anyone?) but not so great for the smaller games as the venue is so big that there's not much of an atmosphere. Revolution is great for food and cocktails etc...but awful for soccer matches as everyone is eating food around you and most of the time the volume is down. In that area I think the woodman would be best....outside of that area, definitely alfies barrack street. Geoffs has no TV also by the way.

Enjoy your weekend op!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

masons I suppose. Geoffs is crap dont mind whoever posted to go there lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Anon0000

If your looking for something different beforehand why not head to the woodlands hotel for the Muay-Thai Waterford Show? Tickets are €20 but you get free admission to Rubys afterwards!!!

Anon0000 wrote: »
    If your looking for something different beforehand why not head to the woodlands hotel for the Muay-Thai Waterford Show? Tickets are €20 but you get free admission to Rubys afterwards!!!

Unless the original poster is 17 years old, I wouldn't advise him to go anywhere that dump.

deise59 wrote: »
    Unless the original poster is 17 years old, I wouldn't advise him to go anywhere that dump.

What a silly thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Don't knock drinking in the hotel for the weekend, it's a nice bar :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,507 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

AdMMM wrote: »
    Don't knock drinking in the hotel for the weekend, it's a nice bar :)

The bar is nice alright, staff are rubbish though...

What a silly thing to say.

Well, different strokes for different folks and all that. Personally I wouldn't want to go near the place any more. A tenner in and 5.20 a pint for a mediocre club isn't exactly getting your moneys worth.

Personally I'd find the forum far more enjoyable.

I thought you were referring to the Muay-Thai show, apologies.

Advertisement