Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trying to trace birth mother

Options
  • 19-02-2009 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Im new to this so any advice would be grateful.

I was born in northern ireland in 1969 and was adopted soon after, also in ireland. I have obtained my original birth certificate which shows birth mothers name and address. It does not show her DOB, is there a reason for this.
    I have contacted Belfast Court Service and they cannot find my adoption records, they have also tried other surounding offices. Can someone give me any advice on what step i should take now.
    Also i have looked on Ancestry and cannot find any trace of my birth, does anybody know if there is a site that would show either by adoption registered or my birth registered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

kathl69 wrote: »
    Im new to this so any advice would be grateful.

I was born in northern ireland in 1969 and was adopted soon after, also in ireland. I have obtained my original birth certificate which shows birth mothers name and address. It does not show her DOB, is there a reason for this.
    I have contacted Belfast Court Service and they cannot find my adoption records, they have also tried other surounding offices. Can someone give me any advice on what step i should take now.
    Also i have looked on Ancestry and cannot find any trace of my birth, does anybody know if there is a site that would show either by adoption registered or my birth registered.

Hi Kath,

There is no site that would list your adoption.

There are others more knowledgable than I here, so I wont advise, as I am only familiar with Ireland (South).

Have you contacted the agency that handled your adoption?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kathl69

Hi efla

i have contacted the court and they cant find any records, they have even tried a few other courts but still say nothing is there. must admit it was nearly 2 yrs ago now i last spoke to them, so maybe contacting them again i might have better luck
    kath

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

kathl69 wrote: »
    Hi efla

i have contacted the court and they cant find any records, they have even tried a few other courts but still say nothing is there. must admit it was nearly 2 yrs ago now i last spoke to them, so maybe contacting them again i might have better luck
    kath

ya never know what can turn up in two years , give it a try , whats the worst that can happen ,
    sorry to say i have no knowledge on adoption but i wish you the best of luck :D

Can you ask your adoptive parents which agency they dealt with? Do you know what hospital you were born in?

I was told by adopted parents that i was born in coleraine, but since getting my birth certificate, it shows i was born at the jubilee maternity hospital, which i believe is in belfast and birth mothers listed address was in lisburn. Also under her address i notice it says M.B would anybody know what that means. Would my adoptive parents have been under the impression i was born in colraine

As far as im aware my adoption was through an agency but as i dont talk with my adoptive parents i cannot find out anything else.

I had to see a social worker in Luton, England where i now live to obtain my original birth details and obtained certificate from that information. I also sent of form to the court service in Chichester street, belfast to obtain adoption agency name but they say no court records are found.
    i also contacted lisburn, coleraine and armagh along with a few others but still no luck.

Do you have any advice on where else i could look please, any information would be appreciated

• Advertisement

I am sorry kath, I know little specifically of British adoption policy and practice. The only things that come to mind are hospital or church records. Does the HSE have a formal department to deal with tracing? Are either of the above a possibility for you? Also were your adoptive parents living in the north?

Hi, i saw a previous post where someone had wrote to the hospital so i shall try that, its worth a go. adoptive parents lived in co antrim, in the north at the time, and we lived there for a few years before coming to england. i also have an adopted brother who is a few years older than me, unfortunately i dont talk to him either but i do no that he managed to get his records although he had to go thru the court as they had been sealed, but again not sure who the agency was. i am going to try the court service again in belfast and see if they can look again, but not sure where to try after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hse.r.clueless

Hi, I was adopted in Dublin & started a search a few years ago, it lasted all of 2 days... I went to the Births Marriages & Deaths Record Office. If u have ur original birth cert u trace the births for that date, unfortunately they are not listed in numeric order, so it will be time consuming. This is wat I done;
    ..Search all Births for my birth date..
    ..Take note of listed birth parent/s name/s..
    ..Check their birth/marriage record, this will give u info on church & witnesses - home addresses may be listed..
    ..From this point ur really on ur own..
    .. Check with neighbours, they may recall were family members worked..
    ..If their work place is still in operation, PRSI no's. should still be on record..

My Father-In-Laws, cousin was adopted from Ireland to the USA in the '60s, he found his birth mother using steps similar to the above, it took him nearly 6 years & alot of heartache.

Also check the contact register on www.adoptionireland.com; it's not the best but u may b lucky !

Best of Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

That's fascinating advice! Hope you are lucky Kath 69.

Hi, I was adopted in Dublin & started a search a few years ago, it lasted all of 2 days... I went to the Births Marriages & Deaths Record Office. If u have ur original birth cert u trace the births for that date, unfortunately they are not listed in numeric order, so it will be time consuming. This is wat I done;
    ..Search all Births for my birth date..
    ..Take note of listed birth parent/s name/s..
    ..Check their birth/marriage record, this will give u info on church & witnesses - home addresses may be listed..
    ..From this point ur really on ur own..
    .. Check with neighbours, they may recall were family members worked..
    ..If their work place is still in operation, PRSI no's. should still be on record..

My Father-In-Laws, cousin was adopted from Ireland to the USA in the '60s, he found his birth mother using steps similar to the above, it took him nearly 6 years & alot of heartache.

Also check the contact register on www.adoptionireland.com; it's not the best but u may b lucky !

Best of Luck.

The GRO holds records for the South only, not the North.

They do hold copies up until 1921, but otherwise you will have to use the GRO in Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jacque 1234

hi i just read your add i am also looking for my sister who was giving up in belfast in 1969 on her adoption papers her name is margo im at a dead end now

• Registered Users Posts: 2 boxerlover

Hi I was adopted in Leeds Yorkshire in 1948.
    I have now got my original birth cert and my mother and fathers names.
    They both were from Thurles County Tipperary.
    My social worker is searching but never seems to get anywhere.
    I feel that time is running out if it has not already as my mother would be 84.
    I would love some advice about which web site I could search on. I do not know if my mother ever came back to Iteland

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rinsjwind

Hi Boxerlover

Has your sw tried contacting her counterparts here in Ireland?

Many thousands of Irish women travelled to the UK to have their babies and quite a few English birth mums (especially the catholic ones) went in the opposite direction and I'm sure the adoption services on both sides of the water must be in touch fairly regulary.

The Irish services would have access to birth, death and marriage records, various social security records like medical cards, parish records etc etc. Even if your birth parent's did remain in UK they may well have gotten married here (maybe even to each other!!) or the Irish services may be able to find relatives still living here and find them that way.

Irish Adoption Authority at 01-2309300 (+353-1-2309300 if you in UK) should be able to refer her to someone.

Good luck
    Rins

• Registered Users Posts: 2 boxerlover

Funny how things turn out isn't it?? 22 years ago my husband and myself moved from Yorkshire to county Kerry so My mediator is in Cork. She was the one who gave my my details and my birth cert.
    I then got in contact with the adoption agency in Leeds as it was where I was born.
    my mother was a student nurse at the time of my birth.
    I suppose that I am impatient as my search has been going on for a year now>have looked on different sites and can find no mention of my mothers birth etc and as i do not have her fathers name I am stuck
    I would so love to thank her for giving me a wonderful life.
    I would also love to know if I have any living relatives here in Ireland or the UK
    it is a slow and arduous task thouhg.
    Thankyou so much for replying and your help and advice
    Christine

Advertisement