Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Measuring anomalies

Options
  • 19-02-2009 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I find it odd that the DEAP manual instructs assessors to exclude a garage, porch or conservatory from calculations if they are unheated and thermally separated from the main dwelling but not a utility room or a store. It states that in order for these to be excluded they must not be accessible directly from the rest of the house.

Also, if I am correct, an attic that is completely open to the landing, hall and stairs of a house but accessed by a ladder rather than a proper stairs (as per a friend of mine's) should be excluded from measurements.

Does anyone understand the thinking behind this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

It would be very rare for a utility room to be thermally seperated from a house.
    I would imagine it is implied that any space that is thermally seperated and unheated should be excluded.

Similarily, if the attic is thermally seperated, i.e. the insulation at joist level, that is also not included in floor area calcs.
    If it is completly open to the hallway as you say, the insulation would be at rafter level and the area and average height should be included as part of the volume within the insulated envelope of the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dunie001

In that case the attic isn't a proper habitable space by any standard...therefore it is excluded. I presume that's the case anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 nodenrg

jimbo78 wrote: »
    I would imagine it is implied that any space that is thermally seperated and unheated should be excluded.

Thats what I would have thought but the manual specifically says separate access is required in order to exclude a utility room or store room. Could it have something to do with the fact that these are likely locations for a boiler?
    dunie001 wrote: »
    In that case the attic isn't a proper habitable space by any standard...therefore it is excluded. I presume that's the case anyway.

Yes its storage. It seems to go against logic to exclude a large space that is open to a heated part of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dunie001

Yes its storage. It seems to go against logic to exclude a large space that is open to a heated part of the house.

Then tell the homeowner to put in an attic door with built-in ladder like all the other normal people in the world...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 nodenrg

I'll pass on the message!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement