Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Webcam and Microphone

Options
  • 19-02-2009 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Hi,

Got a new hp 3730b laptop, every think is fine with it so far.
    The thing is that i dont know how to get the webcam working. I checked to see if the service is running and couldnt find one that relates.

I chose the option to update the driver and it said i have the most up to date one.

The only way i could think of testing it was in msn messenger but it says the camera aint switched on.

Can anybody help please,
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Have a look at the keyboard and see if there's a fn key with a picture of a webcam.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭coco06

nope, no fn key..
    any other ideas?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

There is a setting in MSN to choose which camera to use. I know you probably only have the one. But it's trying to use something else.

HP must have some software installed to run the webcam

Msn says my camers is being used by something else which it aint.

Once i have the correct drivers which i have is it additional software i need? any examples of reliable ones?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Go into Control Panel. All cameras will be listed there.

• Advertisement

But from the control panel you can not launch it. No help topic on it on the laptop either, find this incredible!

There must be a command you can type into 'run' to launch the camera...

coco06 wrote: »
    But from the control panel you can not launch it. No help topic on it on the laptop either, find this incredible!

There must be a command you can type into 'run' to launch the camera...

Is it listed in Control Panel?

If it came with the laptop then without question, there has to be software that allows you to use it. It may not be a service, it may just be an executable.

Look at your startup programs - if the camera came with software, it is probably in there. Also check the system tray in the bottom-right hand corner.

Ye there is no executable no program in start or tray.

The laptop was changed to a 64bit from 32 so i am thinking that the software was lost along the line.

It is Vista which I am only getting used to now so that is why i thought someone may have encountered this and have a quick answer.

The port for my head phones are not working either...

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

Do you have Skype installed? maybe that can pick it up

No skype installed, mite try it though.

• Advertisement

coco06 wrote: »
    No skype installed, mite try it though.

If MSN says the camera is in use, then there is a high probability Skype will too.

You didn't answer my question above - is the camera visible in Control Panel?

If so, the drivers are working, so you need to go to the manufacturers website and download the software.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    If MSN says the camera is in use, then there is a high probability Skype will too.

You didn't answer my question above - is the camera visible in Control Panel?

If so, the drivers are working, so you need to go to the manufacturers website and download the software.

Ok sorry, it is listed un the Device Manager under imaging devices. The properties say the device is working properly and the driver is installed ok.

I will look at the manufactures site again.

got the correct software to use the camera with. installed it and got another issue 'locked by another application' so i changed the compatability etc and ran as administrator and now get the message 'EAccess Violation'.. :(

Advertisement