Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop wont boot, re starts itself, LEDs working.

Options
  • 19-02-2009 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I just bought a bottom section of A Fujitsu Siemens laptop on Ebay to replace one that got burnt out. It includes everything intact except screen, hdd, ram, dvd Rw. I swopped over everything and went to power it up.

It keeps in a short cycle of re starting itself and not booting up, hdd and CPU fans spin but nothing showing on screen, lights on inverter also also show up. LEDs and fans work. Could it be a faulty mb? or should I reset something?

I have 10 days to return this part if it is faulty.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Could be a lot of things so far.

I'd not be surprised if Windows needed to be repaired to recognise the replacement hardware, and would stop and restart if it was getting that far. But you should have something on screen before then.
    But could be an issue with the screen connection, CPU not fitted right and a few other things.

I'm not familiar with the Fujitsu models so some of this might not be relevent.

So questions:

You've tried tapping the usual keys at BIOS time, ESC, F2, F12 to try and bring up something on screen I guess.
    There's no beeping at start time?
    The keyboard lights are working, any patterns being flashed out at boot time?
    What's the cycle time between reboots?
    Starting the computer without memory fitted doesn't make a difference?
    Try removing the coin battery for a minute from the laptop? (an issue exists according to google with some Fujitsu lifebooks not displaying boot stuff apparently).
    If you remove the hard drive and try a bootable CD, does the CD drive spin up?
    Trying to refit the monitor connector. There's no separate GPU daughterboard I guess?

Advertisement