Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone made move from engineering to teaching??

Options
  • 19-02-2009 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Just wondering what subjects I would be eligible to teach with a degree in Civil Eng if I did the PGDE, or did anyone else make the move, have 3 years experience as civil eng and cant get work at the minute

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

You can't get work in Engineering?

Have a read of the many threads about getting a job in Teaching. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

mrengineer wrote: »
    Just wondering what subjects I would be eligible to teach with a degree in Civil Eng if I did the PGDE, or did anyone else make the move, have 3 years experience as civil eng and cant get work at the minute

The teaching council would be the people to answer this one after examining the content of your degree, but Maths is usually the subject I have seen associated with Engineering degrees for teaching purposes.

This would depend on whether Maths played a significant role in the degree.You are expected to have studied any teaching subject for three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

I have. According to the teaching council, we're only eligible to teach maths and applied maths. I think that's silly and that we should be eligible to teach science/physics too, even though our courses in college weren't exactly called that.

Anyway, as a maths teacher, you'd have a fantastic chance of getting a job in England. Not Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mrengineer

that is a bit of a joke, I think you can apply to the teaching council to get other subjects approved, maybe I'm wrong. Surely we should be allowed to teach maths, physics, engineering, construction studies, tech drawing at a minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

See if you can find your degree in here to see your eligible subjects. Some of the computer/electronic courses aren't even eligible for teaching maths!!

As far as I can see, it's €1000 to apply to the teaching council. This is excellent if you're unemployed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bdoo2

Hi,

I would have thought that teaching Construction Studies would have appealed more to a civil engineer! UL do a one year course converting engineering type degrees its the same a the PGDE.

http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Research/Graduate%20School/Prospective%20Students/Graduate%20Programmes/Taught%20Programmes/Education%20%26%20Health%20Sciences/Technology

Check it out.

Advertisement