Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to sit the leaving and do really well in one year(6 years after my LC)

Options
  • 19-02-2009 1:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Right I'm 23 and have been out of education for a couple of years

I got somewhere around 330-350 in the leaving. Not great as I never really applied myself.

Got an ordinary degree then in college (That's 2 years btw) and did excellent in this. Always planned to go back to Uni to get a full degree.

Now I want to study something in a really decent Uni but I'm worried that I wont have the grades to get it. I know this doesn't apply to mature students but I'm sure Unis look at your past results even as a mature student.

Would I be nuts at 24 going back to do the 6 subjects or whatever. Could it be done in a year, after sitting the leaving 6 years ago?

Thing is I would really like to do this...but is it completely pointless for a mature student to do this? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

What do you think "really well" is? Like how many points would you be looking for?

It may be a waste of your time if you want to do the LC purely to get into college, have you checked the course requirements and whether you could do it as a mature student? Is this honours degree in anyway related to your ordinary degree? If so there are universities (or maybe just colleges) where you can do a year to upgrade your degree to a level 8.

The Leaving Cert isn't the only way to go about things but if it's what you really want to do I'd say with a lot of application you could get decent enough grades in a year. Check with your local VEC for centres around you that offer the LC for students. If you have the money you might consider a grind school, it will be very expensive but they are used to catering for students who want to sit the LC in one year and will have excelllent notes which condense the course.

One thing you might like to consider is what subjects you would like to take. Some have much higher workloads than others. Do you have the matriculation requirements for your course from the LC you did years ago? If so then you needn't sit them again and can opt for "easier" subjects with a lighter workload. I'd recommend taking up subjects in some way related to your degree, that way you'll have a greater chance of doing well in them in just one year.

Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Redbhoy

If you're going back full time for a year you'll do ok as you'll apply yourself better seeing as its your choice to do it.
    But if I was you Id listen to Piste and check out the other routes available to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭2tel1

No just a thought

It would be completely potty to resit the leaving. I did ok in it, I just thinking I should have been a straight A student...blah whatever. There's obviously different ways to progress academically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

it would be very hard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

I think about it sometimes, it wouldn't be impossible if you pick the right subjects. I think a lot of people feel they have unfinished buisness there. Personally I know where you're coming from except I did a little better the first time but I was never satisfied since I never worked at it and always felt it would have been nice to aim for 600 points whether I got there or not wouldn't matter, just that I would try and hit it and come close at least. You know that feeling of pride we were all supposed to get for working hard and doing your best.

Anyway it's in the past now and has no effect on my life but I still think about it. I mean I would have done the exact same course in the same college but I'd feel a lot better about school probably,that I hadn't wasted my time completely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

You'll already have a pass in English/Irish/Maths/language and so will have a wider choice of subjects. Chemistry is a very short course, I'd recommend that.

Advertisement