Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quality Assurance in Open Source Software

Options
  • 19-02-2009 1:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone recommend academic papers / journals / books that deal specifically with Quality Assurance in Open Source Software development?

Thx

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I don't know if there are specific quality ASSURANCE practices used in FOSS. Those projects controlled by commercial entities might very well use the same approach as any closed source project. But I guess many projects (or the ones I am involved with anyway) are relying on the "many eyes" theory as proposed by Eric S. Raymond in his well know essay "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/index.html

The only other practice that I am aware of that might be considered a QA practice is that commit access to the code is restricted to those that are considered (by the existing group with commit access) to have exhibited the knowledge and skill needed to write good code - so the idea of meritocracy.

Other than that I can not think of anything but I shall watch with interest to see what information others can provide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Johnny Volume

Thanks

Advertisement