Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costs - PGDE UK

Options
  • 19-02-2009 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi

Can anyone clarify what exactly with the situation regarding costs for Irish students doing a PGDE (PRIMARY) in the UK? I've heard various different stories from people - is it true that in Scotland you pay no fees but get no grant but that in England you pay fees (2k approx.) but receive a grant of 4k?

For Secondary, i've been told that that same rules apply although u get a larger grant in England, depending on the subject(s).

Have found it difficult to get a definitive answer on this one way or another. Any help would be appreciated!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

In Scotland the SAAS pay your fees. So you pay your own accom. and living expenses. But fees def paid in Scotland. Can't tell you anything about England or Wales I'm afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭hot chick

In England and Wales you get a bursary.
    It can be anything from 4000 to 9000 depending on your subject and how much in demand it is.
    You pay fees, roughly 3000.
    But those bursaries may not be there for Sept 09, I don't think anyone can say for certain that they won't be axed in the current economic climate.
    You will also be able to apply for a student loan if you want to. This spreads the cost of college over 20 (Ithink!) years, and you only start to pay it back when you start working.

Advertisement