Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pressure to be perfect

Options
  • 18-02-2009 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm new here, and I suppose this isn't a problem as such but I've just got to get it off my chest.I'm not sure that this is the place to post? If not can someone move it?

I'm in my job about 4 years and I don't have any major problems except those in my head!I've never had any problems with my employers or anything, but in the last year i feel i made a few mistakes, which seem to have really really hit my self-confidence.They weren't big mistakes, or anything, and could be fixed, but I just feel like I was creating a reputation for myself, and I can't seem to get away from it. The pressure in my head to do everything perfectly is just incredible, and I'm so afraid of even making even a slight error that it actually keeps me up at night sometimes.It's gone so far now that I even feel like I've failed miserably if I'm asked to do something and I don't get around to it, then am asked again for it the next day, even if it's not urgent.I can't help thinking that everyone I work with has no faith in me anymore, and I just want so badly to run away and leave.It feels like such a hard fight sometimes, and the worst part is ithat it comes home with me, sits in my head all the time and is exhausting. I was hoping to move to a new job around this time of my "career" but because of the economic situation, there aren't that many jobs around, and I'm stuck where I am for the moment.
    I suppose what I'm looking for is any suggestions for how to get around this.I'm a good worker, and I haven't done anything massively wrong.I can't help thinking that people are thinking badly of me and my work all the time, and comparing me to the others on the team (and we are all around the same level). Does anyone else have any problems like this?I know it's a personal thing, but I'd really appreciate anyone else's input just to make me feel like I'm not going mad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

It seems that the problem is in your head - you expect a lot from yourself, possibly are a perfectionist and you suffer from related self-confidence problems and stress. You might be too self-conscious in it all, after all the world does not revolve around you and I very much doubt your coworkers care at all.

Don't change your job because of it, the feeling will follow you everywhere you go, you'll feel grand for a while and then you'll start self-flagellation all over again. I'd recommend joining a support group or getting some counselling.

Advertisement