Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Laptop purchase

Options
  • 18-02-2009 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi all,

I was thinking of buying the following laptop it has the following specs was wondering if anyone could tell me if its a good laptop to buy or not. Its a Dell Inspiron 15.

ProcessorIntel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor T4200 (2.0GHz, 800MHz, 1MB cache)

Operating SystemGenuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1 - English

Monitors/Displays15.6" Widescreen WXGA CCFL (1366 x 768) TFT Display with TrueLife™

Video CardsIntel Integrated GMA 4500MHD

Memory2048MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]

Hard Drives160GB (5,400rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive

OpticalDVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD)

Wireless CommunicationDell Wireless 1397 Mini Card (802.11 b/g)

Price: 469

I was thinking of upgrading the RAM to 3gb and the hard drive to 250 gb

with upgrade price is: 528.87

Is this good value ? Would this be a good laptop ?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice

Mugie

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What do you want the laptop for? We can't say whether it's "good" as it's all relative. For everyday stuff it'd be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mugie

Hi,

ya it would just be for surfing the net and itunes and stuff like that, would it still be a good machine for that without upgrading the RAM or harddrive. Its just i have heard that Dell low spec machines are not great.

Thanks

Mugie

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ram is fine for everyday stuff, the amount of space you need on the hard drive is up to you. 160Gb would be a fair amount to play with. Processor is fine too. No need to upgrade really.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mugie

Great

thanks for all your help much appreciated

Mugie

Advertisement