Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railway track recycling

Options
  • 18-02-2009 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Recently i was looking for some railway track to hang some field gates on, it was used up and down the country for building sheds, barriers, fencing cattle crushes etc it was used in lieu of Steel RSJs.

I was told by an Irish Rail Engineer where they were lifting miles of it that it could not be sold to me as it had to be disposed of as a waste to a metal recycling company, when i contacted the metal recycling company they told they were not allowed sell any material the collected. So have we gone completely barking mad the slogan uset to be reduce REUSE recycle buy now we must have lost the reuse bit, the metal which i was looking for will be exported to probably china to be melted down and the steel i will have to buy instead of it will probably be imported from Korea.

Even better he told me the sleepers were going to the UK to be incenerated. Yes they may have been treated with creosote but so is every esb and telegraph pole in the country.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Someone is pulling your leg here - ex.CIE/IE rails and sleepers are widely available for sale throughout the country. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Someone is pulling your leg here - ex.CIE/IE rails and sleepers are widely available for sale throughout the country. :D
    It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the OP was refused sleepers from IE or their contractor.

Probably some new EU health & safety regulation about cancerous chemicals used, oils, contaminants etc embedded in the wood. :rolleyes:

Best bet is to stick a wanted add in Buy & Sell, there is still heaps of them about the country. A guy in Clarecastle Co Clare was flogging them up till about two years ago.

Advertisement