Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Career in Teaching Art

Options
  • 18-02-2009 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi I'm at a stage in my life where I have decided to go back to college and study for all those exams I never did, for various reasons.
    I have a big interest in Art. I do paint a lot myself and I also love the Art History side of it. However I can't decide which side of this to study or which career direction to take, ie, will I go and study Art to then go on and teach Art, or will I study 'Arts' and study Art History and go for a career in the gallery museum side of things? Both sides of the coin would appeal to me.
    Is teaching art something that anyone would recomend, are there usually many openings in this? and are there many career opportunities in the Museum or Gallery side of things?
    Would love to hear all opinions, Thanks.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

From talking to a couple of art teachers and going to a couple of teacher recruitment (i.e. go to England) talks, I believe there isn't a single post for an art teacher in any one of Ireland's secondary schools, and if there was, there are dozens of trained teachers ready to step in.

However, vocation blah blah, where's there's a will, there's a way blah blah, if it's truly meant to be blah blah...

Man, when did I get this cynical?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sushisushi

It's entirely possible to go to art college and end up working in the gallery sector - I suspect that's where a large percentage of art school graduates end up, particularly if they've done something like the Joint Course in NCAD (it's a joint honours degree in fine art and art history). Maybe something like this would allow you to work with both interests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭hot chick

From talking to a couple of art teachers and going to a couple of teacher recruitment (i.e. go to England) talks, I believe there isn't a single post for an art teacher in any one of Ireland's secondary schools, and if there was, there are dozens of trained teachers ready to step in.

However, vocation blah blah, where's there's a will, there's a way blah blah, if it's truly meant to be blah blah...

Man, when did I get this cynical?

Unfortunately the above is all true. Art is one of the hardest secondary subjects to get work in. I can count on both hands the number of positions I've seen advertised in the last year. And there are hundreds not dozens of unemployed art teachers. Do art because you love it, if you do it to get a job you will end up quite disappointed unfortunately. Hope it all works out whatever you decide!

Advertisement