Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway student accommodation...for students NOT in NUIG or GMIT!

Options
  • 18-02-2009 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I'll be starting an art portfolio prep course in Galway Technical Institute this year, and I'm having trouble finding accommodation. NUIG student villages are adjacent to GTI, which is on Father Griffin Road, but I've enquired and you must be a student of NUIG to apply for these villages. GMIT villages are too far away, on the other side of the city. I would prefer to stay in a village type complex with other students. Does anyone have any advice or have been in the same or a similar situation? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

A place in Fr. Griffin Rd, Grattan, Salthill, Dominac street St. MArys Rd Henry St or shantalla/ westside would be good areas to live in for that course.

I did a course there a few years ago - if possible move in with someone who is also studying art or design. This helps with inspiration and motivation and an empathy for understanding creative destruction that others would not.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 muselover

thanks a million! where did you stay? was it in a student area?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

pseudonym1 wrote: »
    A place in Fr. Griffin Rd, Grattan, Salthill, Dominac street St. MArys Rd Henry St or shantalla/ westside would be good areas to live in for that course.

I did a course there a few years ago - if possible move in with someone who is also studying art or design. This helps with inspiration and motivation and an empathy for understanding creative destruction that others would not.

Wierdos can be a good muse to ya know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

I got seriously lucky - moved into a great place in Henry Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 MacÚisten

I'm moving to Galway next week, just doing a course and don't have a room yet so yes, I'm in your situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭alexiadexia

Dun Aengus might be a good spot. I have mates living there.
    Rent seems to be pretty good & huge rooms. Close to GTI & in city centre. Kinda student village/ young professional feel to it...

You should have a look in www.daft.ie as there are usually rooms going there most weeks.

thanks! is dun aengus a village or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

dun aengus is just a building of apartments near to where you are, spanish arch, shantalla, city centre are all your best bet.
    Actually have a room going in my house here in a couple of weeks? single room, its near the city link coach station in town, suppose you could walk to GTI in 10 minutes from here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Nice houses around whitestrand road that are usually around the 60-80 per week mark

do you know if dun aengus has a website? it sounds really good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭alexiadexia

No I don't think so but if you go there and have a look on the doors at the entrance & exit to Dun Aengus there are often ads posted there by people living there looking for new roomies..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 benjyboo

muselover wrote: »
    I'll be starting an art portfolio prep course in Galway Technical Institute this year

Omg i applied for this course just a couple of days ago!:D Haven't thought about accomodation yet tho!:rolleyes:

you'll probably be in my class then ! :)

muselover did you get an acceptance letter or anything from GTI?

...i know Sligo College of Further Ed are sending out letters but i don't know if GTI are so i'm slightly worried that they might have forgotten me/didn't get my application..:eek:

no, they dont send the invitations to interviews until after the Leaving Cert Results ! :eek:

no, they dont send out letters until after the Leaving Results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 applebottom

im really confused about the whole accommidation thing...y isnt there any student villages for students attending GTI??or anything like dat??:(:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

im really confused about the whole accommidation thing...y isnt there any student villages for students attending GTI??or anything like dat??:(:eek:

:rolleyes: every year!
    GTI is pretty small! Not much bigger then a big secondary school. There is no student villages near by. You are going to end up renting a house/flat probably! Either with friends or randomers. You have got a solid 2 months to sort something out so I wouldn't worry about it at all. If you start looking in the last 2 weeks of august you'll be fine! Keep an eye on the galway advertiser till then, there may be some listing for september but most of them wont come out untill those last 2 weeks in august. You may have to cue for the advertising listings on a wednesday afternoon but I don't think that there's going to be as mad a rush as in previous years due to the recession!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

main places for GTI is around dominic street area, claddagh and salthill.

benjyboo wrote: »
    muselover did you get an acceptance letter or anything from GTI?

...i know Sligo College of Further Ed are sending out letters but i don't know if GTI are so i'm slightly worried that they might have forgotten me/didn't get my application..:eek:

I applied for a course there last year, they don't hold interviews until early september and gives places based on that, so can't see how anyone would be accepted in July

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 manoa

same bro!!!..i applied for the social studies course 3months ago and havent gotten anything yet!!!..appearently they leave notification till after the leaving cert

im also stuck looking for a house..does gti reccomend anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

I appreciate you are trying to get ahead of the game but 20% of all houses in the country are vacant. Chill out!

And how many "village type complexes" do you honestly think there are in Galway.
    Look for housemates and check the advertiser a few weeks before you start.

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/classifiedlistresults/Accommodation%20%26%20Property/accommodation%20to%20let/city%20centre/0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 manoa

I appreciate you are trying to get ahead of the game but 20% of all houses in the country are vacant. Chill out!

hey cloh i get wat ur sayin but im assuming that most of the people here are going to gti and want to stay in student accomadation which isnt organised by the college unlike the 2 larger galway colleges...i had a friend who went to gti last year and she said dat dey gave her a list of reccomended accomadation but i personally dont want to wait till late august to book my accom.

manoa wrote: »
    hey cloh i get wat ur sayin but im assuming that most of the people here are going to gti and want to stay in student accomadation which isnt organised by the college unlike the 2 larger galway colleges...i had a friend who went to gti last year and she said dat dey gave her a list of reccomended accomadation but i personally dont want to wait till late august to book my accom.

I'm the same, I'd like to get my accomodation sorted soonish rather than waiting till the end of august but theres no guarantees that I'll get the course like. Does anyone know anything about the interviews or how difficult it is to get into the portfolio course in gti?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DarraghDoodles

hey guys come sep gona be starting a course in gti Music Tech just wondering is there anywhere ajcent to gti or anyone with a room for rent? be greatly appriciated as from shannon and will be new to galway.
    anyone doin the same course or has applied for it let me know

Cheers and Thanks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Closest to GTI would be Claddagh or anywhere in the city, it's all walking/bike distance.

Where to look for accommodation:
    Advertiser
    Daft

Street index

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 xx_lil_lee_xx

im lookin for acc for my boyfriend he is att col in gti his first year he starting monday any one know of anywher i can try?? max 60/65 week rent

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can try the links in the post before yours, if you haven't already.
    Plenty of rooms going at the moment so you might have to keep checking.

I did a daft.ie search for you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement