Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Noob

Options
  • 18-02-2009 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I'm thinking of getting a emulator or two. I want to play the old arcade, Megadrive and Super Nintendo games. Questions.....

Can you get all that on 1 emulator?

Which one(s) are the best?

Can a control pad be used for these games? (eg. the xbox one for PC?)

cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You can't get it all on one emulator. You'll need Mame for the arcade games, Gens for megadrive games and winzsnes or snes9x for snes games.

It depends what controller you have. A wired usb 360 controller will work with these emulators. However I wouldn't recommend it, only if you want to play PS1 and N64 games. The d-pad is useless. You are better off getting one of the 360 SFIV controllers out this friday or just a better controller. Make sure the d-pad you get has 6 face buttons so you can play all the arcade games easily.

Another tip is to avoid getting the PAL/european versions of the games you want on the SNES and Megadrive unless it never got an american release. European games have ugly black borders and run 17% slower than the american releases which affects gameplay and music. There are a few exceptions like the SNES Rare developed games which run at a higher resolution than the american games and at the correct speed but thats really all I can think of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Why not go to a Sunday market or ply eBay and buy a Megadrive or a Snes, or even better both!
    Adverts.ie has good deals with games from time to time.
    So much better than playing with an emulator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

there was one multi emulator wasnt there?,maybe its not been supported anymore,does anyone remember MESS?*you did need bios/roms of the certain systems to make it run do

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You are better off going for a single system emulator. They tend to have better compatibility and run at a better speed. Just look at Mame, it gets slower and slower with each update and some romsets stop working with each update and need to be fixed. I'm not dissing the work the mame guys put.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 justin.rattigan

Thanks for the help lads.....

@ CIDERMAN
    I would like to do that but I don't have a lot of space in my set up for those 2 consoles and I want the convenience of just having it on the PC.

@ retrogamer
    I was thinking of getting the SF4 pad but aren't they something like €80. Isn't that pretty steep for a control pad?!
    Also I'm a little confused about for 1st and 2nd post. Can I get all that on one emulator? Any idea of where to go?

thanks again

• Advertisement

The arcade sticks are 80, the fightpads are only 40. Bit steep but it's a really high quality pad that will be getting use on emulators and SFIV.

I'm not familiar with MESS but I'd say go with the separate emulators since I'm sure it's not a good emulator or everyone would be using it. You can get mame, gens and zsnes from www.zophar.net

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭phillo

You could alternatively use a USB adapter that allow you to use a Playstation controller on you PC.

Like this one
    > http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=89483 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

phillo wrote: »
    You could alternatively use a USB adapter that allow you to use a Playstation controller on you PC.

Like this one
    > http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=89483 ;)

Here's a picture of phillo I found on the net.

baldwin.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭duffhead1010

I tired to emulate Ab's Odessey on the ps1,
    I failed so badly so i just bought the game off ebay to play on my ps3
    :pac:

PS1 emulation is a lot tougher. With the best one ePSXe you have to mess about with bios's and plugins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭duffhead1010

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    PS1 emulation is a lot tougher. With the best one ePSXe you have to mess about with bios's and plugins.

I learnt that the hard way. :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Why not go to a Sunday market or ply eBay and buy a Megadrive or a Snes, or even better both!
    Adverts.ie has good deals with games from time to time.
    So much better than playing with an emulator.

exactly emulation sucks!:mad::mad::mad::mad:.

The Snes and megadrive aren't that big, and can be had for peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭phillo

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Here's a picture of phillo I found on the net.

baldwin.jpg

Ahhh c'mon CCCP^, you gotta give me some new leads............c'mon whatta say...........help me here..........I'm just having a bad month.

I tired to emulate Ab's Odessey on the ps1,
    I failed so badly so i just bought the game off ebay to play on my ps3
    :pac:
    Retr0gamer wrote: »

CD/DVD based console systems have always been difficult to emulate (so far). I did have a go at trying to run ePSXe and with little luck. The frame rate is the hardest to get right. It is either insanely too fast or boringly too slow. Cartridge systems have been the only one's that are near perfect (so far). But it all still boils down to this, "There is no other way of playing games, than the way they were meant to be played!".

Advertisement