Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Beer: Free Tasting

Options
  • 18-02-2009 1:59pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Deveney's in Dundrum (location) are starting a series of Friday night beer tastings this week, with American beers as the theme of the first one. Call in any time after 6.30 to sample the wares.

There's a special offer on the night of Brooklyn Lager: 8 bottles for €8. That's cheaper than Tesco, isn't it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Anoeta

Yep, I picked up a 6 pack of Brooklyn lager on Monday in Tescos for 8.90 I think it was. And thats on special offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Hopefully Brooklyn Lager will remain cheap and available here, It's a great beer I reckon. I was actually surprised when I visited the states that there are so many wonderful microbrew beers over there. Much better than here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

there are so many wonderful microbrew beers over there. Much better than here.
    Through the combined miracle of Wikipedia, Microsoft Calculator, and boredom, I can tell you that the US has one craft brewery for every 217,518 people, whereas the Republic of Ireland shares each one of its between 737,017 people.

Yeh I couldnt beleive the amount of quality craft beers there. I spent a couple of very happy aftrenoons in the Gingerman in NYC...... before the evening suits got in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

I love when you visit a pub in the states and you see the message "Please ask your server about today's cask beer selections. Or when you visit a place like this: http://www.allstonsfinest.com/ and see 112 beers on tap, and another 500 in bottle form, almost all from America.

• Advertisement

The beers available for Friday's tasting are:

Samuel Adams Triple Bock
    Speakeasy Big Daddy I.P.A
    Speakeasy Prohibition Ale
    Gordon Biersch Marzen Auburn Lager
    Samuel Adams Black Lager
    Sierra Nevada wheat beer
    Sierra Nevada Bigfoot
    Goose Island I.P.A
    Brooklyn I.P.A
    Samuel Adams Boston Lager
    Honkers Ale & more

Oh, and if anyone's interested in signing up to the Deveney's mailing list for news of future tastings, contact Ruth at deveneydundrum@eircom.net. I won't be posting this every week (you'll be glad to hear).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

how do you rate brooklyn lager ?

6 packs are BOGOF in the Eurospar on Ballymun Ave.

am tempted..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Beernut do you know if the Sierra Nevada Bigfoot is 2009?

how do you rate brooklyn lager ?

6 packs are BOGOF in the Eurospar on Ballymun Ave.

am tempted..
    It's wonderful: the perfect every-day drinking lager. Especially when it's cheap :)
    oblivious wrote: »
    I don't. I'd say so, though -- haven't seen any 2008 around in ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Are they going to be stocking even a handful of these? Apart from the Sam Adams lager and the black lager (which is wonderful).

• Advertisement

IronMan wrote: »
    Are they going to be stocking even a handful of these? Apart from the Sam Adams lager and the black lager (which is wonderful).
    The ones I've listed are the ones Deveney's have said they'll have available tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

oblivious wrote: »

It was when I got some a few weeks back
    Edit: popped in last night and these ones are 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I had a friend in the US who said studied out in Hawaii and he told me about a bar there that had a selection of 150 beers. They had a special where you could buy a card with all 150 beers listed. Every time you ordered one of their beers, they checked it off on your card. My friend was a bit of an alcoholic so he went through the entire card in well under a week.

kenmc wrote: »
    It was when I got some a few weeks back
    Edit: popped in last night and these ones are 2008.

Yea Redmonds still have the 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

I give brooklyn lager the thumbs up.

the bottles are 355ml , a good size.

I give brooklyn lager the thumbs up.

the bottles are 355ml , a good size.

Yeh its a beaut of a beer!!! I got a few more American beers to try last night from Redmonds. I was very impressed with the Speakesy Prohibition but I dont think id knock too many of them back in one evening. I loved the Anchor Steam, very very nice drop. I wasnt too impressed with Double Daddy or East India Pale Ale. I dunno what it was with the Double Daddy, it was far too sweet, almost like a pineapple kinda taste that i didnt care too much for!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

JJ wrote: »
    I had a friend in the US who said studied out in Hawaii and he told me about a bar there that had a selection of 150 beers. They had a special where you could buy a card with all 150 beers listed. Every time you ordered one of their beers, they checked it off on your card.
    Now that's a brilliant idea! The microbreweries here should try something like that to encourage people to drink their beers.

Maybe if a couple of breweries clubbed together and there was an offer that once you had tasted each beer on the card you got a free pint of your choice from the list, that would encourage people to try something new!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Had Brooklyn in NY and wasn't impressed, preferred Yeungling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Now that's a brilliant idea! The microbreweries here should try something like that to encourage people to drink their beers.

Maybe if a couple of breweries clubbed together and there was an offer that once you had tasted each beer on the card you got a free pint of your choice from the list, that would encourage people to try something new!!

I wholeheartedly agree though I'd imagine there'd be someone who would complain that it encourages binge drinking and the pub would be forced to withdrawal the promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Simple solution is to add a rule "Only a maximum of three stamps per customer per day".

There's a similar thing in a chain of pubs here. They have pub crawl maps, with a route drawn out between about 7 pubs. As you have a pint in each of them you get a stamp, when the card's filled out you get a free t shirt.

But at the bottom it says "maximum two stamps per person per day". As if someone was gonna keep to that.

• Advertisement

r3nu4l wrote: »

The bull and castle had a similar system a while ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Con Con

Is this beer tasting a weekly gig? And if so any ideas on this weeks theme?

Con Con wrote: »
    Is this beer tasting a weekly gig?
    Three-weekly or monthly. The next one will be Belgian beer. Sign up at deveneydundrum@eircom.net for notification.

Advertisement