Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long would a Human body survive partially submerged in water.

Options
  • 18-02-2009 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hey i was watching a film with a few friends and one of the characters hid in the water for a while and we had a discussion as to how long a person could survive.

The person would get fed food and water. The water is moving so urine etc flows away. The water is at a comfortable temperature. Water is only from the neck down. Answers for fresh and salt water appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭autograph

That's got me thinking! Suppose a certain amount would depend on the temperature of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Depends on temp of the water. As you stated also fresh or salt water. Sea conditions also, how rough etc.
    Most people go into shock when the are brough out of the water, hence why Rescue helicopters use a hydro static lift to take causalty from the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

How long would it take us to evolve scales ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Seven days? If I remember correctly, in the movie The Ring that's why you died seven days after you watched the video,
    because that's how long the little girl had survived after being pushed into a well
    I have no idea if that has any basis in fact whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Fishie wrote: »
    Seven days? If I remember correctly, in the movie The Ring that's why you died seven days after you watched the video,
    because that's how long the little girl had survived after being pushed into a well
    I have no idea if that has any basis in fact whatsoever
    she had no food. your argument is invalid. :P

He asked if they had access to food and all other necessities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Presume fresh would be better over salt, as imagine salt would leach fluid from your body. Also are we to assume they're flowing with the moving water, with a lifejacket/floatation device or are they treading water? Drowning could become an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

taram wrote: »
    Presume fresh would be better over salt, as imagine salt would leach fluid from your body. Also are we to assume they're flowing with the moving water, with a lifejacket/floatation device or are they treading water? Drowning could become an issue.
    Can stand I assume, from the op.
    pfpwcl wrote: »

The person would get fed food and water. The water is moving so urine etc flows away. The water is at a comfortable temperature. Water is only from the neck down. Answers for fresh and salt water appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ya be fairly wrinkly after getting out. Sleep deprivation would be a big factor. Also boredom might make you wanna sit down in the water for to long

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Teutorix wrote: »
    she had no food. your argument is invalid. :P

How does the hypothetical person have access to food? I mean, is a friend bringing them sandwiches, or are they eating passing ducks or something?

If they have access to food they'd last quite a while, but any superficial wounds etc would start to go soggy and septic, and they'd probably get gangrene or septicemia or something. If they were in still water, they'd probably get legionnaire's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

i guess salty water would dehydrate the skin

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

The chinese use this as a torture method. You would be in water up to a little higher than your waist for days. You cant sit or the water would be over your head so you have to kneel or stand. Sleep deprivation is the main thing. If you fall asleep, you drown. They get soldiers to keep wakening you by prodding, pinching etc. and eventually they semi crucify you by tying your arms up to prevent you from going under. Cruelty only the chinese government could dream up.

Advertisement