Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism intern wanted

Options
  • 18-02-2009 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I'm posting this here in the hope there are more people that actually care about journalism here than roam the jobs postings.

News Shapers is a new online service for and about people who make and shape the news. We're looking for somebody who can work quickly, accurately and with a minimum of guidance to write short bios of journalists and enter the details into our platform. A genuine passion for new media and an excellent understanding of who's who in journalism are essential. Business and technology interests are especially important. You can work in your own time and your own place. This is a poorly funded start up and the pay is dreadful. If you're interested in applying for the position please send an email with your CV, links to any of your work online, and a short bio of one Irish journalist (less than 180 words) to john@dennehy.com.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I'm posting this here in the hope there are more people that actually care about journalism here than roam the jobs postings.

News Shapers is a new online service for and about people who make and shape the news. We're looking for somebody who can work quickly, accurately and with a minimum of guidance to write short bios of journalists and enter the details into our platform. A genuine passion for new media and an excellent understanding of who's who in journalism are essential. Business and technology interests are especially important. You can work in your own time and your own place. This is a poorly funded start up and the pay is dreadful. If you're interested in applying for the position please send an email with your CV, links to any of your work online, and a short bio of one Irish journalist (less than 180 words) to john@dennehy.com.

Let me get this correct: You're looking for an "intern," who will be expected to have a fairly good skill set and an advance knowledge of the Irish media, but he or she will be given "dreadful" pay, and you seem to have an attitude about what looks to be a lack of response so-far?

And to top all of this off, you're asking for a lot but give little away about your company or your self. Plus, your domain, dennehy.com, is still a holding page and there seams to be no active site under the name 'News Shapers.'

Have I got all of that correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Trouser_Press

This is a poorly funded start up and the pay is dreadful.

(Spot on Monument).

Truly Mr Dennehy, you're a comedy genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 JohnDennehy

Cian,

The url for the site will be newsshapers.com but it's not yet ready to launch. I'm not releasing further details publicly because it's too early. I'll be delighted to give further information in a few months time.

I was upfront that the pay was "dreadful" in an effort to set a fair expectation. It is a paid intern position and it is a good opportunity for somebody interested in new media to add to their portfolio.
    The work can be done flexitime and remotely.

The pay is poor because there is no revenue being generated and there will not be for quite some time. I hope this doesn't offend you.

I also advertised the position in DCU through the School of Communications. You may have seen this yourself. I got a number of responses and gave further information to a number of applicants.

John

monument wrote: »
    Let me get this correct: You're looking for an "intern," who will be expected to have a fairly good skill set and an advance knowledge of the Irish media, but he or she will be given "dreadful" pay, and you seem to have an attitude about what looks to be a lack of response so-far?

And to top all of this off, you're asking for a lot but give little away about your company or your self. Plus, your domain, dennehy.com, is still a holding page and there seams to be no active site under the name 'News Shapers.'

Have I got all of that correct?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Cian,

The url for the site will be newsshapers.com but it's not yet ready to launch. I'm not releasing further details publicly because it's too early. I'll be delighted to give further information in a few months time.

I was upfront that the pay was "dreadful" in an effort to set a fair expectation. It is a paid intern position and it is a good opportunity for somebody interested in new media to add to their portfolio.
    The work can be done flexitime and remotely.

The pay is poor because there is no revenue being generated and there will not be for quite some time. I hope this doesn't offend you.

I also advertised the position in DCU through the School of Communications. You may have seen this yourself. I got a number of responses and gave further information to a number of applicants.

John

Oh, that's all very much so grand. It's the apparent attitude as mentioned in my above post which stands out.

Advertisement