Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver and Hardware hell!!!

Options
  • 17-02-2009 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

hi all

looking for your help on this one...im at my wits end...trying to fix my laptop on and off for over a week :mad:

So I have a HP tx1000 laptop. Originally came with vista, but after 6 months or watching my 4gb machine crawl to run basic tasks, I formatted and put on XP Pro...here is where my problem lies...

XP installed perfectly fine. So I'm at the stage of installing drivers. I have found the drivers online, but when I try to install them....nothing happens...zilch....this includes drivers for webcam, wi'fi card, chipset driver, fingerprint sensor etc etc etc.

The biggest one im worried about is my graphics card. No sign of it at all. Checked the BIOD menu on startup...no sign of any graphics card mentioned...display settings in control panel....no display adapter!! Any reading I've done says..'just download the driver and install' - but i dont know what exact driver I need. I believe I have the correct driver for my exact laptop, but it says theres no hardware for this driver when I try an install!

Please help guys, I'd apprectiate greatly :)

thanks

q1.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm going to presume there was something wrong, if 4gb of RAM couldn't keep your laptop going. that should be more than enough. Perhaps it got bogged down with virus/spyware related issues? Had you downloaded vista updates and service packs? (SP1)? I was running vista ultimate, full aero on a netbook and had no issues with slowdown.
    I know this doesn't help your current issues, i just believe going back to xp at this stage is a bit mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Niall F

There are very limited driver downloads for XP for the Pavilion tx1000. But if you check video drivers for Vista, it tells you it's an nVidia GeForce Go 6150. Maybe check the nVidia website? And if that works follow the same procedure for the other drivers? Could you contact HP and ask them for a recovery CD for XP? Worst they can do is say No.
    I know Vista is very memory hungry but to be fair 4GB should be more than adequate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 99qwerty99

yeah....yeah i rana really clean system and it still crawled....i dunno!

I had a look on the hp site and of course there are only vista drivers!!!

I was just wondering is there anyway where i can go
    'ok computer, no matter what u think and what i dont think i have....this is the graphics card i have....this is the driver....now get the finger out and bloody work'!!!?????????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

I'd suggest that you jut reinstall Vista on it. I have read about and seen quite a few brand new laptops and desktops with borked installs of Vista (straight from the factory). No idea how they managed it but it seemed to have been fairly common. A fresh install cured 98% (not official statistic) of the issues.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

As pointed out re-installing Vista is probably your only option as XP probably doesn't have any drivers for certain parts, just get rid of all the factory pre-installed crap on the laptop, I don't belive vista could run very slow on 4 gigs of ram,

Nick

• Advertisement

hey al,

Thanks for the replies so far. I might try a fresh install of XP tonight and I'll let ye know how i get on...

The thing about reinstalling visata is a tough one. I never got a Vista disk, just the OS backup partition.....and yes uve guessed it, I formatted that too!!
    ARGGHHHH!!!

such a balls of a job though!!!
    you'd think that stuff like this would be a breeze at this stage wouldnt you! :D

thanks for the replys so far lads..fair phle...

q.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

I think you're right to go back to xp pro to be honest because vista is dirt, even when i do use it i disable all the vista windows functionality so it runs the same as xp so quite frankly i render vista usless. The 4gb of ram isnt an issue as windows only recognises up to 3gb unless you are running the 64bit version.

It was most likely the way vista ran normally that lagged your system. I mean how many confirmation screens does a person need.

With regards to installing the xp-pro drivers go to the hp site look at the vista drivers and make note of them and then google up the companies that make them. I know i reinstalled a dell xps the other day from vista and ended up grabbing the bluetooth driver from the manufacturing site, the network driver from broadcom site and the graphics from the nvidia site.

The selling companies such as dell and hp often fall down when it come to driver supplying departments. A quick google to the drivers origins will solve all your problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

RE: The graphics drivers, go to http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ and get drivers and the modded inf file

EDIT: Try this: HP_TX_Series_Laptop_Drivers_for_XP

and possibly this:hp tx1000 - Bringing in the charm of XP

thanks so much guys for giving me the heads up.

I had another run at it last night with a different copy of xp pro and bingo! I'm back in action. Running so so well right now! I hope I haven't jinxed myself by saying that :)

The problem was in the device manager where I added a new hardware device and chose 'display adapter'

Then, something happened that didnt happen before...I was able to pick my actuall card from the list and the drivers were seen automatically. 30 seconds I was done!! weird eh?

again, I am so grateful for this wonderfu;l site :)

If any of you have the same problem, I will be happy to return the favour and help out in any way i can :P

Advertisement