Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most efficient use of boiler?

Options
  • 17-02-2009 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

I have a wood pellet boiler, currently operated with just a timeclock - I understand that this is inefficient but I'm only getting around to a thermostat now as the house has been in continual renovation for two years. Currently the timeclock controls the temperature in the house, with blocks of two hours on/one hour off in the evening (provided its not completely baltic). We are about to install a solid fuel stove (which will be the primary heat source downstairs) in the living room, and I am going to put a wireless thermostat upstairs in the main bedroom.

Is the ideal system to just have the boiler come on and stay on for the whole evening (4:30-11:30) with the wireless thermostat regulating the temperature via the circulation pump? I don't want too much heat upstairs so is having the boiler on solid for 7hrs just a waste of fuel seeing as the stat will keep the temperature at only 18C-ish? The other option is to have the stat control the boiler but I'd be concerned that frequent stopping/starting would knacker the machine.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Advertisement