Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with Laptop Adaptor

Options
  • 17-02-2009 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hey everyone! I've two questions for you seeing as Dell Customer Support aren't able to answer them. At the moment, my laptop adaptor won't charge my laptop. My laptop's battery meter is currently at 0% and when I plug in the adaptor it will power the laptop but will not charge it.

Dell wants me to send away my computer to be checked by them and not the adaptor but I think this is pointless. The problem, in my opinion, is the adaptor and has nothing to do with the laptop itself. My questions are what could be wrong with the adaptor and should I go through all the trouble of sending the laptop away to be fixed?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

If the laptop runs on the power adapter alone i would imagine ill is well with the adapter. As the power is getting to the laptop. What model laptop is it? How old is it? Did the battery hold a charge when it was working, ie did it last for long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

If the laptop runs on the power adapter alone i would imagine ill is well with the adapter. As the power is getting to the laptop. What model laptop is it? How old is it? Did the battery hold a charge when it was working, ie did it last for long?

Thank you for replying. :) It's a Dell Inspiron 1525. It's almost 7 months old. When it was working the battery held a charge as well as most other laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Can you get your hands on a generic charger? The ones with the dial in voltage and various plugs. Try one to see if the battery holds a charge, I got one in Maplins. Also, if your running Vista it might be something to do with Dell power management programme

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ah, a Dell 1525, i've heard of issues like the one you've described before. It's a design fault as i believe the fault is quite common. If it's 7 months old i'd be getting it repaired under warranty. No point messing around with a laptop still under warranty.
    Try reseating the battery a few times, this may give it some life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Thank you guys for all your suggestions. I've decided I may as well just send it away and bother Dell with it while I'm under warranty. I'll have to make do without my precious for a few days. :( Haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

One quick thing you can try before sending the laptop away is:

Turn the laptop off.
    Unplug from the mains.
    Remove the battery.
    Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.
    Release.
    Put the battery back in as well as the mains then see if it will charge.

Not guaranteed to work but it has done on a couple of laptops I have looked at.

Advertisement