Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licencing Laws for alcoholic beverages

Options
  • 17-02-2009 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out about the licencing laws for alcohol and how to go about obtaining a licence for a cafe?

Thank you kindly good sirs!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Sorry I cant help but good Luck with your new venture

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out about the licencing laws for alcohol and how to go about obtaining a licence for a cafe?
    You're best going to your solicitor for that, I'd say. There's some good general information here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

The Intoxicating Liquor Acts themselves can be found on www.oireachtas.ie but as BeerNut said, actually obtaining a licence is best left to a solicitor. It is a good idea to familiarise yourself with the laws though. Actually isn't a copy of the acts required to be kept on the premises? :confused: I know we do where I work.

Adyx wrote: »
    It is a good idea to familiarise yourself with the laws though.
    Pretty hard to do without a consolidated text. And the statute book's chronological tables don't incorporate the 2008 amendments yet. And there's a new act on the horizon some time in the next year. Definitely a job for a legal professional.
    Adyx wrote: »
    Actually isn't a copy of the acts required to be kept on the premises? :confused:
    There's a good exercise in how hard it is to find out what licensing law says on a particular subject. Off you go to Oireachtas.ie and find out for us :p

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

The Intoxicating Liquor Act doesn't go into the nitty gritty of cost of various types of licences. Referring specifically to a small café, for instance, how much would a wine & spirit serving licence cost...that is, assuming that permission to hold a licence has initially been granted through the courts.

Seems strange that this information is so difficult to come across. :confused:

• Advertisement

The Intoxicating Liquor Act doesn't go into the nitty gritty of cost of various types of licences.
    That's the Revenue's job.
    how much would a wine & spirit serving licence cost...that is, assuming that permission to hold a licence has initially been granted through the courts.
    Says €3805 here.
    Seems strange that this information is so difficult to come across. :confused:
    If the government went around giving the public information on stuff there's a real danger they might start to use it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BeerNut wrote: »
    If the government went around giving the public information on stuff there's a real danger they might start to use it :eek:

Very good :D

Advertisement