Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodger responsibilities???

Options
  • 17-02-2009 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭sardineta

Ask yourself instead how you expect/propose the house be cleaned?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

So who is going to do it???

I am in the opposite position where we have someone staying with us who cleans nothing. I am p'd off spending my weekends cleaning up for him and am getting in a cleaner to do what he wont do. If he doesnt like it then he can move out.

He even is so lazy he leaves his breakfast dishes out and goes off to work. GRRRR very annoyed today about it...

Bottom line, if you want only to tidy up your own mess then live alone. You are being totally selfish and unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jmauel

However am I right to draw the line there and not start hovering the whole house, cleaning toilets and dusting everywhere; as is being suggested in this rota.

I dont think it makes any difference whether you are a lodger or an owner, anyone living in the house is responsible for keeping it clean. Who do you expect to hoover or clean the toilet after you? A rota is very fair way of keeping the house clean and tidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Harrier1980

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

I accept the fact that you should clean whatever mess you leave behind you from eating, spills etc… However am I right to draw the line there and not start hovering the whole house, cleaning toilets and dusting everywhere; as is being suggested in this rota. I fear I may be asked to mow the lawns next….

Do you walk on the carpets? Then you must hoover the carpet. That's cleaning up after yourself.

Do you use the toilet? Then you must clean the toilet. That's also cleaning up after yourself.

Dusting - same idea. You use a room, however briefly, you have to share the maintenance.

Your housemate is not being unreasonable. Why should they be running around cleaning up after you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bettedavis

who do you think should do it if house is shared. hoovering the living quarters? washing the kitchen floor, emptying the bin . Unless you take a bottle of cif and a pair of rubber gloves with you every time you pee, you should expect to spend your fair share of time on your knees in the loo. Don't show this thread to your partner............or visiting him/her will be what your destined to do for the duration of your relationship !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

Ok OK, you are right.. Rota it is then.. Guess I just needed to hear myself say it first to realise I was a little unreasonable.
    Your right ted.. Im happy now.

If only we all could sort out are problems like that! Good on you mate. :)

i wonder have sarahsassy and harrier1980 ever met !!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I disagree completely with the above posts.

A rota is a pain in the hole.

The girl who lived in the apartment had a cleaning rota on the fridge door. We never used it, as she was moving out the week we moved in.
    We clean up our own mess, and the house is grand and clean and spotless. Every now and again someone sweeps the place, takes 2 mins. Do we need a rota for that?? No a bit of respect for each other and cope on is better than a rota.
    A rota is a way for lazy people not too clean up after themselves properly.

Like the OP I am never in the house at weekends, and I do be out training 2 or 3 evenings a week. I do not have time to be going round and hoovering other peoples mess, and cleaning up after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Harrier1980

• Advertisement

I disagree completely with the above posts.

A rota is a pain in the hole.

The girl who lived in the apartment had a cleaning rota on the fridge door. We never used it, as she was moving out the week we moved in.
    We clean up our own mess, and the house is grand and clean and spotless. Every now and again someone sweeps the place, takes 2 mins. Do we need a rota for that?? No a bit of respect for each other and cope on is better than a rota.
    A rota is a way for lazy people not too clean up after themselves properly.

Like the OP I am never in the house at weekends, and I do be out training 2 or 3 evenings a week. I do not have time to be going round and hoovering other peoples mess, and cleaning up after them.

No i agree a rota is a little regimental.............but it should be just an unspoken rule. you hoover one time i'll do it the next. it usdally gets to a point where one person doesn't mind washing the floors but hates dusting, its just about delegation. the rota thing is a bit much i agree, unless you're a family sharing chores amongst the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Having had my share of living with others, rota are useful. Based on past experience, when a rota was not in place, there were people who were so lazy.

Yes, as others have said, yes it is common courtessy to clean floors,hoover etc. when you share with others. Am actually surprised that anyone these days would think otherwise :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I would suggest that this be agreed before the lodger moves in rather than afterwards. Some people are just bone lazy and if these are not agreed as part of the original deal then some will abuse what they will perceive as hospitality. This is, by the way, why I would be slow to rent out a room in any case, if I was one of the lucky people who could actually afford to buy anything reasonable. :D

Advertisement