Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying my first Truck?

Options
  • 17-02-2009 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

I need to buy a 20ft box body truck for my business, up ‘till now we managed with vans. I don’t know much about trucks, what’s a good make?
    I see a lot of Ivecos, Man and Izusu’s for sale.
    Can any recommend a truck mechanic around Meath to look over some used trucks for me?

Cheers
    H.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Right... deep breath...

The first thing you want to have to figure out is the weight bracket you need to be in.

What kinda payload do you need to carry?

Does it need to be under 7.5ton for licence reasons?

As an Isuzu, Iveco and Mercedes mechanic I can point you to their weak and strong points.

The Isuzu will really be at the end of it is limits with a 20ft body on I think. Not too sure on that though. You would defo be looking at the NQR. They are a great workhorse and give very little trouble. I very recently tested a 04 one with 450k km on it and it passed first time. Do not be tempted to go for a Mitsi Canter instead. Over complicated heaps IMO. They have 8 calipers where everyone else does with 4!

The Iveco would probably be my choice as I can work on them, they are simple, quite comfortable to drive and the older engines are really really durable. Not that sure on the newer common rail ones though.
    They are the Fiat of trucks so are cheap for a reason. They have a soft ride but this also means that suspension parts do give trouble. They also have a lot of small things that break like door handles, fibreglass bumpers that are always cracking, shakey headlights etc
    Rubber bushes that cannot be greased are a pain in the hole to change.
    Drive shafts and carrier bearings are also an achilles heel on them.

The Mercedes trucks in the bracket you will probably be looking at are quite durable. The common 1823 is a steady work horse if a little under powered.
    Control units some times just fail.
    The gear shift which is pissy hydraulic effort instead of linkages can be a expensive if it goes south.
    DO NOT buy the semi-auto version.

The smaller versioned Atego, 1417 and the likes have a few other problems and are kinda rattley.

Anti-roll bar bushes are forever going in them and an idiot changing pads can wreck a caliper with an 8mm spanner - thats a 1000euro.
    There is also a sensor in these calipers which will put on a light on the dash and cost a new caliper if you want it put out! :eek:

If you have any specific questions lob them up here so everyone can see.

I am a HGV mechanic based in Sligo so Meath is a bit out of my way!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

slideways wrote: »
    an idiot changing pads can wreck a caliper with an 8mm spanner - thats a 1000euro.
    There is also a sensor in these calipers which will put on a light on the dash and cost a new caliper if you want it put out! :eek:

Explain please ??

The wind back adjuster on them is very delicate.

If the air has dropped on you while doing one side and you pull to hard on the wind back screw it will either shear off or break the little chain inside the caliper

As for the light, there is a sensor in the caliper which is measured from the control unit on vehicles with the "ws" maintance system, if water gets in...it is shagged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

slideways wrote: »
    Right... deep breath...

The first thing you want to have to figure out is the weight bracket you need to be in.

What kinda payload do you need to carry?

Does it need to be under 7.5ton for licence reasons?

As an Isuzu, Iveco and Mercedes mechanic I can point you to their weak and strong points.

The Isuzu will really be at the end of it is limits with a 20ft body on I think. Not too sure on that though. You would defo be looking at the NQR. They are a great workhorse and give very little trouble. I very recently tested a 04 one with 450k km on it and it passed first time. Do not be tempted to go for a Mitsi Canter instead. Over complicated heaps IMO. They have 8 calipers where everyone else does with 4!

The Iveco would probably be my choice as I can work on them, they are simple, quite comfortable to drive and the older engines are really really durable. Not that sure on the newer common rail ones though.
    They are the Fiat of trucks so are cheap for a reason. They have a soft ride but this also means that suspension parts do give trouble. They also have a lot of small things that break like door handles, fibreglass bumpers that are always cracking, shakey headlights etc
    Rubber bushes that cannot be greased are a pain in the hole to change.
    Drive shafts and carrier bearings are also an achilles heel on them.

The Mercedes trucks in the bracket you will probably be looking at are quite durable. The common 1823 is a steady work horse if a little under powered.
    Control units some times just fail.
    The gear shift which is pissy hydraulic effort instead of linkages can be a expensive if it goes south.
    DO NOT buy the semi-auto version.

The smaller versioned Atego, 1417 and the likes have a few other problems and are kinda rattley.

Anti-roll bar bushes are forever going in them and an idiot changing pads can wreck a caliper with an 8mm spanner - thats a 1000euro.

If you have any specific questions lob them up here so everyone can see.

I am a HGV mechanic based in Sligo so Meath is a bit out of my way!

Sorry in the delay in getting back, thanks for the input, we will be well under 7.5t so you reckon the NQR would be the job?

spadder wrote: »
    Sorry in the delay in getting back, thanks for the input, we will be well under 7.5t so you reckon the NQR would be the job?
    The NQR really is a very reliable piece of equipment.

With regular maintenance it should not give you any trouble.

The only problem that I can see is that the 20ft body will be quite big on an NQR. I will fond out later for you how do-able this combination is.

• Advertisement

Just asked, you can get the NQR with a 20ft chassis so that size body should not be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Cheers Slideways

Found a 20ft box body model with reasonable mileage

What should I be looking at ?
    Gearbox
    Brakes
    Axles.
    Tyres
    Is there engine management computers? can the oil be changed without setting off alerts?

Thanks again for your time.

spadder wrote: »
    Cheers Slideways

Found a 20ft box body model with reasonable mileage

What should I be looking at ?
    Gearbox Normally not an issue, havent heard of one giving trouble
    Brakes Pins can get sticky on the calipers, not a big job, sometimes LSV gives trouble
    Axles. If neglected king pins can need replacing, its a big enough job to do
    Tyres Not really an issue as long as they are the right load index
    Is there engine management computers? can the oil be changed without setting off alerts?

Thanks again for your time.

No probs with changing oil. They are really quite simple to work on.
    I would have someone look at it if you have any doubts. A well cared for one should serve you well.

Advertisement