Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to eat in Castlebar

Options
  • 17-02-2009 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend somewhere to eat around Castlebar. I might be about to lose my job but have booked a weekend away in Castlebar this weekend so any suggestions.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

holmyster wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend somewhere to eat around Castlebar. I might be about to lose my job but have booked a weekend away in Castlebar this weekend so any suggestions.

I'll move this to the Mayo forum. The locals might have some good tips :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 bgerry

Café Rua
    New Antrim Street Castlebar Co Mayo
    Tel:+353 (0)94 902 3376
    Seats 35; children welcome. Open all day Mon-Sat, 9.30-6pm. Closed Sun; Bank Hols, 1 week at Christmas. MasterCard, Visa, Laser.

An Carraig
    Chapel Street Castlebar Co Mayo
    Tel:+353 (0)94 902 6159
    Seats 55. D Tue-Sun; Tue-Thurs, 5.30-10, Fri-Sat, 6-10pm, Sun 4-9pm. Early D €22 (Tue-Thurs, 5.30-7pm); House wine, about €20. Closed Mon. MasterCard, Visa.

Ps sorry to hear about the job.:( Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Dhaka Indian in a good spot. Unfortunately Castlebar is severely lacking in good restaurants.
    Wouldn't eat in Cafe rua myself. Food is ok but the attitude is something to behold!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

Dunno if you want like restaurant but i always thought Cox's had lovely food. Bar One aswell

Restaurant wise not the best but thought An Carraig was nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

An Carraig is the only decent restaraunt in the town!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mayfire

If you play your cards right, you may get a free meal from FAS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 laneyw

tulsi indian resturant is LEGEND :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Any of the Indians/Italians are pretty good IMO. Bosh and Bar One are great spots for lunch also. If you like chinese, the Silver house or the Jade Dragon would be the best places, just stay away from the Lantern on Thomas Street-ugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

For a town of its size, Castlebar has very few restaurants.
    Good but overpriced and getting worse : Al Muretto Italian.
    Good but never very full : Dhaka and Tulsi - two Indians.
    Mediocre and not very exciting - An Carriag - Irish / continental.
    Decent pub grub, nothing more - Cox's.
    Don't know any of the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 maria22

Moka cafe bar,Spencer st.serves lovely food up to 7.30pm,very reasonable B & B overhead as well. www.moka.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

holmyster wrote: »

Portofino, Very good food & Service, we had a party of 22 there last weekend and they really looked after us. Its the best by far and I've been eating out for 13 years in Castlebar, tried them all. Go for it & Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

I agree about the original Cafe Rua on New Antrim St but the other Cafe Rua on Spencer St is really nice. Helena Chocolates and The Olive tree are nice for coffee/quick bite during the day and also Bar one also do lovely lunches. Agape has nice continental style food, they do a good 2 course lunch set menu on a saturday, think its around €15. Moka is one of the only places in town that opens for lunch on a Sunday, Tulsi & Dhaka do a set lunch menu on Sunday for round €10 also. Imo, Coxs is bland and expensive for what you get. An carraig is nice for evening meal but also can be pretty expensive. Dhaka is the best indian imo. Havent been to portofino yet but have heard mixed reports. I havent tried the new harlequin restaurant in days hotel, their menu looks quite tradional but if done right could be really nice.http://www.dayshotelcastlebar.com/amenities.php. Also, have to give Lilys greasy spoon on Thomas St a mention for a wicked Sunday morning hangover fry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

Ya i thought Agape was nice, though I'm pretty sure i got food poisoning from there when i ate the pork. Was violently sick.

There certainly is an endless amount of grease in Lily's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

Ya i thought Agape was nice, though I'm pretty sure i got food poisoning from there when i ate the pork. Was violently sick.

Bad buzz, did you go back and say it to them? Might make them get their act together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

No, probably should have at the time. Not much point now though as it was last summer.

Would probably try the place again but i'd stay away from the pork!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 commentator1

I had a fantastic lunch at Helena Chocolates a few weeks ago. A really lovely seafood salad and a delicious chocholate mousse desert. Huge portions and free chocolates with the coffees! I'd definitely recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭xochillixo

for lunch...

rua or cafe rua (eithr ends of castlebar)

dinner...
    an carraig or almerettos(italian)

trust me u wont go wrong with those

one thing...
    all are not cheap,,,

Advertisement