Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Air

Options
  • 17-02-2009 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Not sure if the consumer thread / rip off Ireland is the correct place for this, but it seems kinda fitting!

I was wondering is anybody knows any petrol stations that still do free air? I'm in the Waterford region, so ideally for me the petrol stations I would be looking for would be in that region.

But for other users benefit, listing other areas would also prob be of use.

I ask this, because I went to the Texaco by the yellow road the other day and I had to put 50c in for 5 minutes of air, when I only actually got about 30/40 seconds of air. And I was in too much of a hurry to go in and complain.

I know its only 50c, but it was a €1 at statoil on the Dunmore Road...

I don't want to get into that stupid argument saying why should we pay for air, its free and its everywhere, cos I know its the cost of the electricity to work the compressor etc, but for the few cents it cost to run that and the profits they make on the petrol, a little free air and water would be nice. I know places used to do it and loads of places in the UK still offer it for free...

Thanks,
    DG.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,473 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Air compressors are one of the most abused items on any forecourt, and they will generally have repairmen out at least once a month to fix something or other. Charging 50c pays for the maintenance and lowers the usage.

Most garages keep it free as it attracts customers in to buy other products, but they could deem it not worth the hassle.

Would you also resist paying for hoover usage at a garage? It's just air being sucked the other way after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Get a portable air compressor from halfords - about €40. Check the air at your leisure & always handy if you have a slow puncture!

In the UK, virtually every garrage charges for use of air pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

I'm from the west travel around a lot and never came across anywhere that charges for air.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

DanGlee wrote: »
    but for the few cents it cost to run that and the profits they make on the petrol, a little free air and water would be nice.
    Maybe they want to attract customers who use their own water & pumps. i.e. those people might be pissed off knowing they are paying over the odds to subsidise "free" air and water machinery which is just included in the petrol costs.

I was delighted when ryanair introduced all the individual charges for stuff, I never availed of the "free" service and was subsidising those who did.

I hate the whole "free" marketing bullsh!t, it is never really free...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dennyboy22

Air is still free, in all garages in west cork ( thank god!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭richiepoorman

As far as I know, Tesco's are free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

A guy at the bus station will fart in your face for free ... however if he had to store it up i.e. compress it .. he'd probably charge for it.

The lesson ? get your own Hobo to store up the farts at home if you want to complain about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

Walshs Petrol Station in Ferrybank for sure free
    the one across the granary(Ferrybank as well), in yesterday broken but free
    and I was out at the tescos bye the hospital thought that was free but broken
    i really should fix that slow leak.

Service Station is a dated term for the most part except in places where they care about thier customers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Its unfortunate but in this day and age people dont respect free services, they throw them on the ground , drive over them and generally treat them like crap.
    these are supposed to be precision instruments and yet people treat them like waste. Its no wonder that filling stations now charge for air as it becomes a considerable expense every year to provide this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

I know this doesn't answer to OP's question but I work in a garage and though we don't charge for air (yet) I understand why other places do. Since December the airline has been robbed/slashed/damaged 4 times. They cost around €100 to replace. We actually don't have any at the moment, the manager just got fed up. It's a joke.

• Advertisement
Advertisement