Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A great new game for linux!!!

Options
  • 17-02-2009 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I don't know if you have heard but an indie game development company has released a really professional game for linux, World of Goo. Releases like this are rare but maybe times are changing?

Anyway check out the demo below...

http://worldofgoo.com/dl2.php?lk=demo

It works flawlessly, its obviously well tested. I was so impressed with the demo last night that I actually paid the $20 for the game. Only the second time I have ever paid for an online game! Its that good!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Yes, bought the full version last night myself.

I have found some other good games you can play on Linux. I play Urban Terror on Ubuntu, works flawlessly for me, I also play Sauerbrauten and have played a bit of Nexuiz too. All good online multiplayer games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Sorry, it was wrong of me to say "finally there is a good game for linux". Your right there are other great games.

It just feels like a long time since there has been something really new like this. I really hope it does very well and other games developers see there is money to be made on linux.

/Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Wcool

Just bought it, it's class!!

And nice to see that there is a company that produces a great game for all platforms for a decent price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Here's a list of recent game releases for Linux:

http://www.linuxgamingworld.com/games-catalog/

Edit: but having looked through them, not so much. Rain Slick is good, but some of the others look like a real hassle to install.

Another page listing Ubuntu games here:

http://gaming.gwos.org/doku.php

And also Softpedia page on Linux games:

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/GAMES-ENTERTAINMENT/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

I played the demo and it was fun, but I found alot of screen flicker when I was playing it in Ubuntu.

The FAQ does mention possibly having to disable things like compiz so I might try that and see how it goes after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Hi Matrim,

The a shame it flickered for you. The quick way I switch between compiz and metacity is with the compiz fusion icon. You can get it [URL="apt://fusion-icon"]here[/URL]

You will then have the fusion icon in Applications -> System tools. Right clicking on this when its open lets you switch between the Compiz and metacity window managers very quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

The demo is pretty cool alright.

At least they released the client unlike Epic who turned my UT3 disc into
    a coaster. I refuse to dual boot anymore, so the native Linux games will hopefully keep coming.
    Big ++ from me to 2D boy. Must...get...this....game:pac:

I play Urban Terror on Ubuntu.

Words can't describe how fun this game is:pac:
    Neverball is good for blowing off steam too.
    Supertux is pretty cool for an old school platformer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Damnable addictive game! And non-DRM too :)

Just bought it an hour ago.
    Fun and addictive as hell.

Kudos for the Linux support aswell:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

What a cool game. Just finished the demo level now. And the full version is priced pretty reasonably. Will definitely be buying this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

I agree, great game.

Advertisement