Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Svalbard "Doomsday" seed bank: Antartic

Options
  • 17-02-2009 4:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

entrance1-thumb.jpg

Front entrance.

Bill Gates through that wonderful institution the Gates foundation has pumped tens of millions of dollars into this project.

The seed bank is built inside a mountain. It is located 1,100 km from the North pole on the Norwegian Island of Spitsbergen.

The funding for this project comes from the following, among others, Rockefeller Corporation, Monsanto Corporation , Syngenta Foundation, and the government of Norway.

The official purpose of this facility is to store some 2 million seeds of all types of diversity "so that crop diversity can be conserved for the future".

All over the world seeds are stored in this way already for that exact purpose so why build this place and why build it there?..

Do they see something threatening crop diversity in the not to distant future?..Do they know something we dont? should we even be concerned about it?....

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=7529

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Man you'd see a conspiracy looking at two cows standing in a field.

So if i get this right the Norwegian government have built a 120meter tunnel in a very isolated place to protect seed biodiversity. The seeds have been supplied by the 120 seeds depositories around the world for safe keeping.

And it's so sinister they list exactly who paid for this to be set up on their website.
    The Trust welcomes donations from all sectors. Current donors include developing and developed country governments, civil society (foundations), the private sector, farmers’ organizations and individuals.

The Trust is extremely grateful to the following donors for their generosity:

Australia (AusAID)
    Brazil (EMBRAPA)
    Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation/UN Foundation
    Canada (CIDA)
    CGIAR Centres
    Colombia (Ministry of Agriculture)
    DuPont/Pioneer Hi-Bred
    Egypt (Ministry of Agriculture)
    Ethiopia
    Gatsby Charitable Foundation
    Germany
    Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation
    Gordon J. Hammersley Foundation
    Grains Research and Development Corporation
    India (Ministry of Agriculture)
    International Seed Federation
    Ireland (Irish Aid)
    Italy (Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
    New Zealand (Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry)
    Norway (Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
    Rockefeller Foundation
    Sam Spiegel Foundation
    Sweden (Sida)
    Switzerland (SDC)
    Syngenta AG
    Syngenta Foundation for Sustainable Agriculture
    Systemwide Genetic Resources Programme
    United Kingdom
    United Nations Foundation
    United States of America (USAID)
    World Bank - CGIAR

Jesus give me a break

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

meglome wrote: »

:)

Did you read the piece in the link below I know its long but there is some good information contained in it, it explains things much better than I ever could, after reading it, it might explain the purpose or significance of the seed bank.
    Some of the big companies involved with this project are also involved in the GMO crop business. From my own point of view anytime Rockefeller & Gates are involved in anything especially together Ill always look at it most of the time with suspicion I dont trust either of them I dont believe they have mankinds best interests at heart.

I'm not saying all the people who put money into it are wonderful but the project itself looks very laudable indeed. Those damn Norwegians with their Zionist conspiracies. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Svalbardn is not in Antarctica

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

There are no shortage of small-scale organisations engaged in seed-protection.

Here in Switzerland, ProSpecieRara have been going for 25 years...saving varieties of plants that could otherwise easily have become extinct.

Worthy though such organisations are, they only go so far. They offer protection for almost-extinct plants to a certain degree. Something as simple as an office fire could theoretically remove plant varieties from existence.

The idea of the Doomsday Bank is to take the idea to its logical conclusion. Put the stuff somehere remote. Put it somewhere cold to preserve it, and put it somewhere secure so that its as safe from pretty-much anything, up to and including nuclear war or a meteor strike. Oh, and don't just limit yourself to what is rare today. You're protecting against the unforseen...so protect everything you can.

So what if the people stumping up some of the cash are filthy rich philanthropists? Its exactly the type of "lasting legacy" of qestionable value that only the filthy rich can provide for. If it succeeds...immortality in the history books. If it doesn't...they could afford it anyway.

Someone (Kernel?) asked not so long ago about the reason we let millions in Africa starve. The answer I offered then was simple...there's no money in feeding them. There's still no money in feeding them...so who steps up? The filthy rich philanthropists, again. If it succeeds...immortality in the history books. If it doesn't...they could afford it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Jesus give me a break

Meglome, it's unfair to single out the poster and attack him in this way. A lot of people 'see' a conspiracy with regards to the seed bank. It's a valid conspiracy theory being discussed all over CT sites. The rest of your post was informative, but I think you let yourself down with the manner (or lack of tact) of your opinion.

I personally would view the seed bank as a failsafe against GM crops going bad 'on a global level' (hearing that NWO phrase so much these days that I'm repeating it myself!). If there were a global killer as bonkey has theorised, would Norway be the best place for a seed bank? How would survivors get up there and where would they plant the seeds? Not anywhere near the seed bank, that's for sure, since it's an icescape. Anyway, the seed bank is something I put into my 'undecided' box alongside the moon landings. ;)

bonkey wrote: »
    There are no shortage of small-scale organisations engaged in seed-protection.

Here in Switzerland, ProSpecieRara have been going for 25 years...saving varieties of plants that could otherwise easily have become extinct.

Worthy though such organisations are, they only go so far. They offer protection for almost-extinct plants to a certain degree. Something as simple as an office fire could theoretically remove plant varieties from existence.

The idea of the Doomsday Bank is to take the idea to its logical conclusion. Put the stuff somehere remote. Put it somewhere cold to preserve it, and put it somewhere secure so that its as safe from pretty-much anything, up to and including nuclear war or a meteor strike. Oh, and don't just limit yourself to what is rare today. You're protecting against the unforseen...so protect everything you can.

So what if the people stumping up some of the cash are filthy rich philanthropists? Its exactly the type of "lasting legacy" of qestionable value that only the filthy rich can provide for. If it succeeds...immortality in the history books. If it doesn't...they could afford it anyway.

Someone (Kernel?) asked not so long ago about the reason we let millions in Africa starve. The answer I offered then was simple...there's no money in feeding them. There's still no money in feeding them...so who steps up? The filthy rich philanthropists, again. If it succeeds...immortality in the history books. If it doesn't...they could afford it anyway.

good points bonkey , I often thought of that myself what Kernel was saying about Africa it shouldnt be happening its a real tragedy that could be sorted out rapidly if there was a real concerted and genuine effort to do so but there isnt not one I can see anyway. As you said theres no profit for feeding these people so their left to starve which is disgusting and not right at all.

Kernel wrote: »
    Meglome, it's unfair to single out the poster and attack him in this way. A lot of people 'see' a conspiracy with regards to the seed bank. It's a valid conspiracy theory being discussed all over CT sites. The rest of your post was informative, but I think you let yourself down with the manner (or lack of tact) of your opinion.

I personally would view the seed bank as a failsafe against GM crops going bad 'on a global level' (hearing that NWO phrase so much these days that I'm repeating it myself!). If there were a global killer as bonkey has theorised, would Norway be the best place for a seed bank? How would survivors get up there and where would they plant the seeds? Not anywhere near the seed bank, that's for sure, since it's an icescape. Anyway, the seed bank is something I put into my 'undecided' box alongside the moon landings. ;)

I agree. Why Norway? no way you could ever plant anything there all you can do there is build igloos and make snowmen it has be the most remote inaccessable seed bank ever. Does anyone know if this is the only bomb proof bank in existance?..

I take your point, I was trying to be somewhat funny though. But to be honest a lot of people see conspiracy everywhere. Now it's possible that there are indeed conspiracies everywhere but given that's highly improbable and more importantly most lack credible evidence I'll have to keep my humour hat on.

Well it's possible that GM crops would run 'wild' and we'd need these seeds. You know I may not personally like Bill Gates very much, I did meet him once and we had a chat believe it our not, but then again how many billions have I given away this year. Maybe sometimes people just wanna do good when they give away money. I don't like the assumption that when certain company's or individuals are involved in a project, even if they just printed the flyers, there must be conspiracy.

There are seed banks all over the world but my understanding is this one is the most isolated and safe. In a global catastrophe we wouldn't suddenly not have ships or forget where they were stored.

heres a few more photos of the seed bank..

seed9.jpg

0001548510dr.jpg

seed7.jpg

57BF40C4-DC2F-E4C9-83FC4B2039B7EFC4_1.jpg

07115_seedvault_hmed_5p.hmedium.jpg

1_241720_1_2.jpg

seedvaultphoto.jpg

SNN2610A_442676a.jpg

• Advertisement

DSC_1271.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

WakeUp wrote: »
    good points bonkey , I often thought of that myself what Kernel was saying about Africa it shouldnt be happening its a real tragedy that could be sorted out rapidly if there was a real concerted and genuine effort to do so but there isnt not one I can see anyway. As you said theres no profit for feeding these people so their left to starve which is disgusting and not right at all.

The issues with Africa are more complicated that merely giving a whole bunch of grain to a country, look what happened with Live Aid.

Theres little point supplying just seeds to a country, you need to insure that there is infrastructure there to allow the widespread and equitable distribution of seeds, that there are irrigation and insecticides available to ensure crops actually grow. Finally there needs to be political stability in a region, theres little point in letting someone do all this work, only to have his crow seized by a corrupt warlord, or have the farmer driven from his land by religious zealots, or for his land to seized and redistributed by a corrupt regime to his cronies.

I'm not picking examples out of thin air all three of the above situations are actually happening in African nations right now.

Saying "well why don't we just fix it" is just phenomenally simplistic, you may as well say "why don't governments stop intolerance" or "just ban injustice". It requires an enormous amount of political capital, public goodwill, and years of hands on pracital support.

If we look at the "drop the debt" campaign from 4 years ago, really can you tell me, how many of that campaigns goals were realised? No one likes injustice or starvation, but basically saying "hey lets stand up and fix this" is a worldview more suited to Bono or Star Trek.
    I agree. Why Norway? no way you could ever plant anything there

The whole point is that its a remote secure location so in the event of say like "the day after tomorrow" sized global disaster, there would be a secure seed supply to ensure humanities survival. The overall cost of this project is a few hundred million which if you take the current economic bailouts into consideration, it's like a tiny piggy bank with a few pence in it, in order to save against the remote possibility of a very rainy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I think its a great idea and it looks fookin awesome externally and in some parts internally.

I dont really see the conspiracy, but while we are talking about a mass disaster why would any government announce doomsday from a meteor/comet or asteroid (or other ELE) given the panic and riots that would ensue?

Personally, i would go mental and start doing what I wanted for the lulz before the event, so if it was the case that they were withholding such information, i would understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

and it looks fookin awesome externally

Looks like a Wii

Diogenes wrote: »
    The issues with Africa are more complicated that merely giving a whole bunch of grain to a country, look what happened with Live Aid.

Points taken I agree with you on both of them its a very complicated place but in particular live aid.

One of the ways I believe populations are subtly controlled is through shame. Live aid does a very good job at that.

All these pop "stars" and movie "stars" sometimes stand on a stage, in the process obtaining worldwide publicity for themselves, and tell the likes of me and you how gratefull we should be for our "lucky" lives, tonight thank gods it them instead of you and all that.

All these "stars" like st Bono and sir Bob with their fortunes if they chose to could pretty much feed a country or whatever for a year or more really make a differnece.

But they choose not to. They choose to stand on a stage , tell the average person how lucky we are whilst taking our money in the process. Dont forget they get lots of publicity to they could do so much more if they really wanted to.

"Theres little point supplying just seeds to a country, you need to insure that there is infrastructure there to allow the widespread and equitable distribution of seeds, that there are irrigation and insecticides available to ensure crops actually grow. Finally there needs to be political stability in a region, theres little point in letting someone do all this work, only to have his crow seized by a corrupt warlord, or have the farmer driven from his land by religious zealots, or for his land to seized and redistributed by a corrupt regime to his cronies. "

I'm not picking examples out of thin air all three of the above situations are actually happening in African nations right now.

Saying "well why don't we just fix it" is just phenomenally simplistic, you may as well say "why don't governments stop intolerance" or "just ban injustice". It requires an enormous amount of political capital, public goodwill, and years of hands on pracital support.

If we look at the "drop the debt" campaign from 4 years ago, really can you tell me, how many of that campaigns goals were realised? No one likes injustice or starvation, but basically saying "hey lets stand up and fix this" is a worldview more suited to Bono or Star Trek.

I dont think in the 21st century that there is any excuse for anybody starving to death political or otherwise I dont think its just a question of seeds. Even in wartorn countries or countries you might view as hostile, surely everybody can come to the conclusion and realisation that were all people from planet earth and we need to eat food to survive war or no war evryone should have something to eat.
    Just like you have rules of war theres rules of life. The right to live , eat and have a roof over your head basic things but vital to being everybody reagrdless of race or religion should subscribe to that. This isnt the case all over the world and never has been.

With that said not all African countries lacking food supplies or who lacked them in the past were at war.

We can send people to the moon, our scientists can pervert science and develop a nuclear bomb but we cant feed everyone. If they cant grow their own food we give it to them. If they cant pay for it so what we still give it to them no way anybdy should go hungry for any reason what so ever thats just really how I feel about that. If warlords start stealing the food send a protection force surely the UN could get some sort of a special reaction force together to make sure supplies got where they needed to be. Thats if they wanted to.

The whole point is that its a remote secure location so in the event of say like "the day after tomorrow" sized global disaster, there would be a secure seed supply to ensure humanities survival. The overall cost of this project is a few hundred million which if you take the current economic bailouts into consideration, it's like a tiny piggy bank with a few pence in it, in order to save against the remote possibility of a very rainy day.

true cant really argue with that it puts the remote in remote lets just hope that god forbid something ever did happen its not the last place left on earth wont be growing much there Id imagine.

Personally, i would go mental and start doing what I wanted for the lulz before the event, so if it was the case that they were withholding such information, i would understand.[/quote]

:)

Looks like a Wii

wouldnt look out of place on the set of star wars:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

true cant really argue with that it puts the remote in remote lets just hope that god forbid something ever did happen its not the last place left on earth wont be growing much there Id imagine.

The thing is , it is in a perfect location if there is going to be a physical pole shift , so after the pole shift it won't be there see .:)

espinolman wrote: »
    The thing is , it is in a perfect location if there is going to be a physical pole shift , so after the pole shift it won't be there see .:)

I see what your getting at does the supposed pole shift have something to do with 2012 what they Mayan people spoke about?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

I see what your getting at does the supposed pole shift have something to do with 2012 what they Mayan people spoke about?...

I'm fairly certain and I will wager money to santa strike force, that you will not see mention of the words "polar" and "magnetic field" anywhere in the mayan language.

• Advertisement

I'm not to sure about the 2012 thing , they might have the dates wrong , now as far as i know there is evidence that physical pole shifts' have occured in the past , so it may or may not happen .

I'm fairly certain and I will wager money to santa strike force, that you will not see mention of the words "polar" and "magnetic field" anywhere in the mayan language.
    Well i agree with you , you probably won't find these words in the mayan language .

not so sure about that it depends what your definition of the "mayan language" is.

"Mayan" languages are spoken in southern Mexico , Guatemala and Belize, they include, among others ,

Ch'ol
    Chonatl de Tabsco
    Chorti

http://www.native-languages.org/fammay.htm

according to wikipedia some 6 million people speak "mayan" throughout these places.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayan_languages

Its not unreasonable to assume that somewhere in those languages are descriptions of the two words you mentioned maybe not verbatim to the english words but meaning something similar in their own way.

If your referring to ancient mayan language that could be different. The ancient Mayans used maya hieroglyphs to record things which was the writing system of the pre-Columbian Maya civilisation known as the Maya script. (logograms complimented by a set of syllabic glyphs).

Imo because of this writing style there may well be ancient mayan words for "polar and magentic field" either lost in translation or yet to be discovered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayan_script

I dont think enough is known about the ancient mayan language and its meaning maybe they did maybe they didnt we just dont know for sure.

espinolman wrote: »
    I'm not to sure about the 2012 thing , they might have the dates wrong , now as far as i know there is evidence that physical pole shifts' have occured in the past , so it may or may not happen .

any ideas when these phyiscal pole shifts are suppose to of happened:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

any ideas when these phyiscal pole shifts are suppose to of happened:)

The 9th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

lol thats brilliant :D

Advertisement