Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catering Pitch at Festivals

Options
  • 17-02-2009 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭

Was just wondering if anyone had any experience of this, how much the pitch costs, any restrictions etc. Is it worth it? I can source product easily and cheaply and sell at a good margin just wondering about the logistics of it all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Well, its not cheap - large festivals will want savage money up front. Why not contact an event organiser like Aiken or the like and ask - its an open market and cash rich business.
    Remember the story of the guy who worked @ Oxigen all day (for Benson's was it?) and returned home with thousands in cash in takings on him and armed robbers were waiting for him and did him over.
    Caution required with lots of cash on you - best of luck tho' - it can be one of those "quick hit" profit business's out there for a ferw days work.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

Pitches are difficult to get these days. I spent all 2007 to work and re brand a couple of units of one of the biggest company in the country. The chances are, depending on product, are fairly slim to get in. If you get in make sure you are paying normal rates and not "newcomer rates". And I know a couple of food vendors which are attending quite gigs all year, just to be let in into the big ones i.e oxygen and the e picnic as these are the venues money is made. Also again it depends on the product. And than there are operational issues.
    I could wright for days, but perhaps you let me know which what product you want to enter the scene and I will put you in the right direction. Cheers Oliver

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

A pitch in some of the festivels can cost anything up to €25k (if not more) and last year no one made any money to the music festivels, a few companies hit the wall last year.

You also have to remember that Health and Safety will inspect your premises and you must be up to standard, i know last year at a large music festivel they shut a number of caterers down because they werent happy with their gas connections or their lack of fire equipment.

Its a risky business especially now, people dont have €12 to spend on a burger and €3.00 for a coke everyone brings their own food.

If you get the right weather (either freezing OR really hot - but freezing is much better) you might do okay but................

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Remember the story of the guy who worked @ Oxigen all day (for Benson's was it?) and returned home with thousands in cash in takings on him and armed robbers were waiting for him and did him over.

it was Slane wasnt it ?

Now Bensons, they lost their back at a festivel last June

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

it was Slane wasnt it ?

Not sure if it was the June festival, but the whole last season was crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

it was Slane wasnt it ?

yeah, cudda been Slane alright now you mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Thanks for the info folks!

Advertisement