Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First scan Qs

Options
  • 16-02-2009 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi all...
    I'm going for my first scan next week, I'll be in week 13. I decided to go private with my gyne, I like her and like the idea of dealing with the same person all the way through, plus I'm a tad anxious as my mam had serious complications with all of her pregnancies (altho so far so good with me)...
    But its costing and I want to get bang for my buck! :D
    Basically I'm trying to think of relevant and important questions to ask. I've a few in mind but was wondering can any of you who have been there before think of any general stuff I should ask or of things you wished you'd asked earlier on that may not have seemed that important at the time etc
    Any thoughts appreciated.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭VeryBerry

Hi Sixx,

I had a first scan at 12 weeks too (paid for it privately too). Looking back, I don't know if there were any extra questions we could have asked.

They can't really tell too much at that stage, other than the number of babies there, if there is a heartbeat, confirming dates etc. Any complications are best identified around the 18-22 week mark, which is why the hospitals do the big anomally scan then.

I'm still really glad we got the early scan though, because it was fantastic to see the baby wiggling around, and see its heartbeat. It made it all very real, which helped at lot because I was having major difficulties believing I was going to have a baby!

Enjoy it - and make sure you get a picture!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

good question Sixx....looking back I'm not sure there's anything more I would have asked. The consultant was very informative on the day. Explained to me where all the bits and pieces of baby were, where the placenta was, the fact there was plenty of fluid etc.

There's not really much I would have asked because it was all so new, but I suppose I would say to you just to ask the usual. Ie, if you have any aches or pains or things that are bothering you about the pregnancy to write them down and bring them with you. And if the consultant says something to you that you're not sure about ask them to explain it to you so that you know exactly what they mean.

Good luck!! When you see those ickle legs kicking your heart will melt!!

Advertisement