Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best SNES games

Options
  • 16-02-2009 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

So I've gotten hold of an emulator with all the roms for the console and I don't know what to play. Recommend me something that holds up today, except for the obvious Mario and Zelda.

I've already finished Flashback - what a game! Much easier than I remember as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Donkey Kong and Earth Worm Jim. The Bomber Man games were good aswell. Micro Machines, Rock and Roll Racing.

Very close to setting up my SNES again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Secret of Mana, or Secret of Evermore.
    The first should really be run with the extra-font patch, the latter can be patched for 2P action.

Also try out Star Ocean or Seiken Densetsu 3 -- both had well-made English patches released. (In fact, there's a huge amount of fan-translated English RPGs -- google around for lists).

Also try out Terranigma (haha, the US never got that one!), and Chrono Trigger (PAL never got this one...).

As for platformers, I fancy a bit of the old Donkey Kong Country 2 -- best of the trilogy!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭TygerKrash

a couple of fairly obvious ones:
    SF II , Mariokart.

Another World was nice (maybe not particularily replayable)
    Micro Machines, Rock and Roll Racing.
    Rock and roll racing was great fun. Was micro machines on the SNES? I seem to remember having to borrow a megadrive to play that.

The Shadowrun game was good on the SNES, I remember having fun with Stunt race FX and Starwing too but I would guess they have dated pretty badly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Earthworm Jim has aged rather badly. Bomberman is crap unless you have 3 other friends to play with.

Best game on the SNES. Super Metroid most definitely. As long as you remember to superbomb the underwater tunnel you won't get stuck for ages like me.

Other games worth a go:

Final Fantasy VI: Forget the FFVII crazies. This is by far the best in the series
    Secret of Mana: Excellent little action RPG
    Sparkster: Brilliant platformer
    Axelay: Great shooter and excellent graphics
    Demons Crest: Excellent and often underappreciated metroid type game. Beautiful graphics.
    Super Ghouls n'Ghosts: Rock hard but a brilliant game
    Chrono Trigger: Possibly the best RPG ever made
    Soul Blazer, Illusion of Time and Terranigma: Brilliant trilogy of action RPGs
    Earthbound: Great RPG from nintendo that rips the piss out of RPGs
    Castlevania IV: great platformer
    Actraiser: weird but brilliant fusion of platformer and sim city type building.

Well thats all I can think of at the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭TygerKrash

Have to add one more. Super Probotector ( or Contra III as it was know everywhere else) was a great game, the huge bosses and nice use of the SNES graphics chip abilities really made it stand out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Other games worth a go:

Super Ghouls n'Ghosts: Rock hard but a brilliant game

I definetly recommend this game. It's tough but so rewarding. I'd also recommend Zombie's ate my Neighbours. You can get it on either the Sega or Super Nintendo but it's worth getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

6 posts and nobody has mentioned F-Zero?! You should be ashamed of yourselves :P

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

I recommend super mario world2:yoshi island and super smash tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,587 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

As most of the best snes games have already been mentioned, heres a few that wasted hours of my life when I was younger (Before this whole Internet thing came along and gave us access to reviews!)

Super Punch Out.
    Sunset Riders.
    Rushing Beat.
    Super Double Dragon.
    Disney's Aladdin (Remember when Disney games were actually decent?)
    Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
    Legend of the Mystical Ninja

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bryn wrote: »
    6 posts and nobody has mentioned F-Zero?! You should be ashamed of yourselves :P

For shame indeed. Before there was Wipeout there was F-zero. And it was better.

Have to recommend against Another World. It's a great game but the Snes version was censored. Get the Megadrive or better yet the recently released PC update.

Listen to o1s1n. The capcom developed Disney games are excellent. The mickey mouse one in particular is great.

Forgot about Wild Guns as well.

The Thread in games reminded me about the excellent Plok!

Super Mario RPG and Yoshis Island tend to get over looked. Wonderful games.

Pilotwings looks boring but it's amazing especially the use of mode 7.

Anything by Konami and Capcom is usually worth getting even the licenses.

R-type 3 is another gem of a shooter as is Super Aleste.

The Firemen is another excellent game, so far the only decent firefighting game ever made. Well worth picking up and emulators glitch on it so worth tracking down for a real SNES.

Can't forget Cybernator. It was stupidly censored for the western market but I'm sure there is a translated rom under the jap name Assault Suit Leynoss.

God I love the SNES.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,587 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Have to recommend against Another World. It's a great game but the Snes version was censored. Get the Megadrive or better yet the recently released PC update.

I've never played the Snes version. Was unaware of that. Is it just the bathhouse level toward the end or do you know of any more censored sections?
    God I love the SNES.

Indeed! Just got Secret of Mana & Secret of Evermore today (Cheers mogawai!) Once I get some new batteries soldered in I won't be seen for a few weeks. Still havent played either of em.

/edit - just bought Assault Suits Valken too. Fingers crossed it doesn't have any mad lockouts that a standard region adapter can't get around.

o1s1n wrote: »
    /edit - just bought Assault Suits Valken too. Fingers crossed it doesn't have any mad lockouts that a standard region adapter can't get around.

It's a class game. Rock hard though, only played a little of it but can't get off the second level. Nice you got the japanese version, you can see the enemy general blast his brains out. He may be 5 pixels high but it's still cool.

I really can't stress enough how good the firemen is. Didn't get an american release as well so along with terranigma and Lufia 2 (get the Lufia games :) ) it joins a very exclusive group or games released in Europe and not in america.

As for Another World, the biggy was the bathhouse scene but some gore was left out as well. The another world creator really wasn't happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,412 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Revenge of Shinobi
    Golden Axe
    Streets of Rage
    Toy Story
    Mickey Mouse and the World of Illusion
    Super Skidmarks
    Lemmings
    Prince of Persia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

StarFox
    WWF Royal Rumble

... ...I know you've already implied not to mention the Mario games, but Super Mario World is such a fantastic game. It's better than all of these modern pieces of junk that are coming on on the XBox, Wii, etc.

What can I ay - I'm a genuine retro-gamer!:)

Kevster wrote: »
    StarFox
    WWF Royal Rumble

... ...I know you've already implied not to mention the Mario games, but Super Mario World is such a fantastic game. It's better than all of these modern pieces of junk that are coming on on the XBox, Wii, etc.

What can I ay - I'm a genuine retro-gamer!:)

How can I forget WWF Royal Rumble? That was the most enjoyable Wrestling game I've ever played, I end up playing for ages and my thumbs were in bits, it really was like a Wrestling match!

PM me your email and I'll send it to you. I have over 700 SNES games.

Kevster wrote: »
    PM me your email and I'll send it to you. I have over 700 SNES games.

I appreciate the offer but I have it already, one of the first games I got for the Super Nintendo, pure genius of a game :) thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

17 posts and no mention of Zelda:A Link to the Past?? :confused:

Disgusted! Serious nostalgia when I even hear a tune from it.
    Others would include:

Legend of the Mystical Ninja
    Secret of Mana
    Contra 3 as another poster mentioned was a classic.

EDIT: Just opened the cubby hole in my room and found my SNES. With about 10+ games (including Zelda and Mystical Ninja)!! Hmmmm, will I crack it open?

Ah, very good. Zelda was indeed a great game but I have to go back even further than the SNES to find the best version of it: The Link's Awakening, on the monochrome GameBoy of all things!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

callaway92 wrote: »
    Revenge of Shinobi
    Golden Axe
    Streets of Rage
    Toy Story
    Mickey Mouse and the World of Illusion
    Super Skidmarks
    Lemmings
    Prince of Persia

That'd be the megadrive mate.

Super Mario World
    Starfox
    F-Zero
    Super R-Type
    Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
    Mario Kart

My brain is frazzled, cant remember back that far, must get zsnes again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭RKDus

Dare I start up FFVI? Oh go on then

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Warren3

Secret Of Mana
    Parodius
    Zelda
    Mario

Advertisement