Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell inspiron Laptop - OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND!!

Options
  • 16-02-2009 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Please forgive me but I'm a bit green when it comes to technology. I accidently knocked over my laptop earlier. Then the screen froze for ages so I switched it off. When I turned it on again the following message greeted me:

PXE-E61 : Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F : Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM.
    Operating system not found

Now I even know that this is not good!!!
    It runs on Windows Vista Home Premium
    It's only 2 years old but I don't know if it's still in warrenty. That prob doesn't matter since it was my fault!
    I still have all the installation disks.

SO I want to know if its remotely possible to fix this, either by doing it myself with help, or sending it off for repairs or am I just kidding myself?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Sounds like it is a hard drive issue, have you heard any clicking , it would be faint but pretty noticable.
    Im not sure how "green" you are, but, reseating the hard drive might get you up and running, then if i were you, i'd back everything you can up onto a usb drive and get yourself a new hard drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Your hard-drive is possibly/probably broken. If you're lucky it is not broken but just unseated (unlikely).

The HDD will be easily user-replaceable. So if that is the problem, it is not a major issue, a HDD is pretty cheap (a decent size one can be gotten for €50-100 no problem). Unfortunately your data is most likely gone (without very expensive retrieval services).

If the laptop fell, its possible there is other damage too. Its impossible to say without being able to actually boot into an OS and check it.

Advertisement