Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pink Champange

Options
  • 16-02-2009 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭

I got a bottle of this for Valentine's and must say it was not nice. Herself was ok with it but I've only had "normal" champagne before and quite like it.
    Does pink stuff never taste better than the usual?

Veuve Monsigny Pink Champagne
    Product_detail_Wk0709S.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

good pink champagne is delicious just as good champagne is. bad pink or bad champagne or bad rose wine for that matter is just nasty like with all things (saying that, i've never tried the one you got so can't comment, but if you like champagne, you'll like the rose too, although you might not prefer it). try the veuve cliquot rose, i doubt you'll be disappointed.

the problem also with rose is that they can be badly made and end up being sickly sweet almost

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

Although Pink Champagne can be great, there is a novelty factor attached to it. Like yourself, I would take normal Champagne over it any day, but sometimes it's a nice change and ladies love pink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Thats an Aldi wine. Sells normally about £10(UK). Thats about all it's worth. Good Rose is nice but usually dearer than the house NV or Vintage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

You don't see it much, but if you come across a Champagne that says "Oeil de Perdrix" (Partridge Eye) on the label, the blend is mostly Pinot Noir (a red/black grape), and the Champagne, despite being the "regular" kind, will have a noticeably pink tint in the glass.

Bollinger uses a lot of Pinot. A few weeks ago, I drank a bottle of Bolly's "La Grande Annee" 1999 and it was so salmon in the glass. Their regular NV ("Special Cuvee") is Pinot-heavy too, so maybe you get the same effect.

I know the ladies supposedly love pink, but they rarely complain about Champagne of the usual colour, so I would never fixate on buying pink stuff. I'm not going to start sticking the boot into Aldi (or was it Lidl? - why don't they have more dissimilar names?), but my usual advice would be -> If on a budget, forget Champagne and spend your twenty quid on good Cava / Prosecco / Cremant.

I bought Champagne for my wife before and made a display with nice cushions, flowers, the bottle, and lighting so she'd see it when she walked in the door (I was going to be at work until later...). She was ecstatic. I think expectations of men are usually so low that if you do anything thoughtful and clever at all, the woman in your life will be astonished and grateful.

Advertisement