Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UBUNTU/LINUX VPN COLLEGE CONNECTION

Options
  • 16-02-2009 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Iv been having trouble with connecting to the Maynooth VPN through Ubuntu 8.10. I use the VPN tab in Network Manager and fill out the
    Gateway: NUIMWireless
    User
    Password
    I then connect the Wi-Fi and VPN which all seems to go fine but still firefox comes up with the NUIM page. I do have the proxy settings correctly in on firefox as well. Any help would be great,thanks:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭moynihan

You know anything about the vpn software/hardware that Maynooth use?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kallstrom86

not really help but I was trying to connect to the network with a linux netbook and wasn't able to do it. I think someone said to me that it doesn't support it. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I know how to get it working, do you want to meet up somewhere and i'll show you how?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Chriswilson

Having a similar problem on Ubuntu 8.10, except I just get a "VPN connection failed" message.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fearmhor18

ye u must have filled something in incorrectly? make sure when choosing ur vpn that its PPTP! thats the microsoft one me thinks?just put in ur student no in username and ur password, for the gateway put in NUIMWireless n call the connection NUIM VPN, that should work. Mine says its connected but still get the annoyin NUIM page. mp3 guy says he can get it connected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭mp3guy

You need to install the network-manager-pptp package.

Also, your VPN settings should be as follows;

Gateway: 192.168.10.40
    User name: Your student number
    Password: Your password
    NT Domain:

Then click advanced and check all options, except Send PPP echo packets and set Security to All Available (Default)

Finally on the IPv4 Settings tab set Method to Automatic (VPN) and leave everything else blank, as well as Routes.

The gateway IP might change depending on what part of campus you're on, if you need to find it out open up a terminal (after connecting to the NUIMWireless network and before connecting the VPN) and run "ping nuimwireless" without quotes, that'll give you the IP address for the gateway.

I'l try it as soon as I get back up to college, I dont know if I'd that package installed and I definitely had some of the security settings wrong. Thanks, I'l let you know if it worked for me asap

solved by mp3 guy!:D

Advertisement