Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going Hudless

Options
  • 16-02-2009 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭

I didn't realize i was so dependent on my PokerTracker HUD, i basically use the HUD for every decision, paying more attention to my opponents stats than my own holding and the board and often making mistakes by basing decisions and making assumptions on stats over too small a sample size.

So i tried a few sessions without a HUD and i felt completely naked. What does this say about my game(its ****) especially if i have to rely on a HUD to make decisions. I feel a bit **** as i have basically learned to play poker based on HUD stats over the past few months. A lot of poker videos from the coaching sites don't help, as some coaches go straight to the stats when faced with a decision. Posts everywhere are infested with the stats Vpip/pfr/AF, e.g. someone says they are playing some guy who is 18/14/3 who check raises them and they want to know what to do. If you had been paying attention to this guy you would surely have a note on some hand he played and how he played it that would help your decision more than some useless stats.

Say the Flop came J56 hh after you raise the btn with AJ and some nitty guy defends and check raises you have a note that says he 3bets small pocket pairs so his check raising range an such a flop probably doesn't include sets unless you have some other note on him that suggests he is capable of mixing up his play. And lets say you have a note where you have seen him check raise with TPWK in the past. How do these notes affect our decision as opposed to some 18/14/3 nit has check raised us.

I'm not sure what i'm getting at here, i'm just ranting, notes to self:
    -Take better notes
    -Stop misinterpreting stats
    -Move down and play without a HUD for a while

Does anyone not use a HUD while playing?? anyone play on Cake??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

I play with a HUD all the time but to be honest I rarely ever use 95% of the stats in it. The main use I get out of it is if I am playing a lot of tables I can pick out the fish much much quicker then having to observe the tables and look for them! vpip and pfr and wwsf and 3bet are the ones I use most often and just try to characterize the players by using it. I have loads of other ones in my HUD setup but I rarely ever use them.

I would imagine I could play fine without a HUD but would have to play less tables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭HoLLLLLaments

been playin without hud hu for a while now.makes me feel better when i soulread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Does anyone have problems with the PT hud when multi tabling?

Seems to happen on party, it get in the way he the buttons, queit annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Just use the HUD and take detailed notes. HEM HUD is fantastic for this, I keep very detailed notes on people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭big_iain

poker traker and poker ace hud are a pile of. I have tried to use both i guess i have to set up the database or something. Useful to find out what cards they are calling you with.

One thing is. If you play live and online as i do. You don't have these stats live.

Poker HUD's are killing the live game. ( No wonder these donks are calling my all in's with KJ it's because i have 95% FOS factor.:D ) ramble ramble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Adrock-aka

Huge merit to reducing dependance on HUD when trying to move up and develop ability. Read a seriously good thread about this exact topic on 2+2 kicked off by Ryan Fee (who makes some very bold statements) but it generates a great discussion on everything your wondering about Mullicker. I'll post the link as soon as im home youre gonna enjoy it.

By the by, the general consensus of the discussion is a mix of what Digiman and Slash/Ed were saying. Using vital statistics (Vpip etc) to save time but not substituting them and other statistics for a well thought out decision making process per hand. Creating and updating very detailed notes also extremely NB if still using HUD stats, so you dont become complacent and hit a plateau in ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

One problem I found when using HUDs is that the stats become less accurate once you start exploiting them! Take for example a player who folds his BB 90% of the time, we're going to be Attempting to steal with any two cards. Once the villain starts to adapt, he'll be 3betting you with a much wider range, while still folding 90% of time to other players steals. This is where I find things start to get clouded as the stats are now skewed. I'll admit that I struggle to deal with situations like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Mullicker

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/32...obusto-243141/

The conversation mostly develops around HUD etc

cheers Adrock, lots of good advice in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Rakeline

Adrock-aka wrote: »

He talks about it on this weeks pod cast was a good listen
    http://pokercast.twoplustwo.com/index.php
    Plus you can get his free book at http://ryanfee.com/ it was done a year ago or so but still pretty good stuff

Advertisement