Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Octave Mandolin. Cork

Options
  • 16-02-2009 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I suppose I'm looking for a 2nd opinion here more than anything. I'm looking to get an octave mandolin (as opposed to a mandola). I'd use it tuned to GDAE.
    I already play a mandolin, but my joints in my fingers kill me playing it.
    I played a few in Cork on Saturday, and both were completely different. I'm not too sure whether I played a mandola tuned to GDAE or not..
    Anyways, one was in pro musica, had a nice wide neck and a pretty good acoustic sound for only €200.

I played another in the shop up the way from crowleys (the guitar shop??), and I think it was a mandola tuned to GDAE. It felt pretty "tight"/tension on the strings, and the neck was slightly thinner,

So, even though the first one sounded well for the money, (I'd put a pick up into it), I'm thinking rather than play it and then want to upgrade in a few months, should I go for something a little better. I can't really afford to go top line at the moment, but something for 200-300 euro would get me by for now...

I travelled down from Limk, so should also check out other towns around or Dublin hopefully...

Even if anyone passing by pro musica could give the octave mandolin a go in there, it would be good to get a 2nd opinion...

The one in there looks like an old style instrument, almost like something from the middle ages/lute style, but it sounds good (to me) for the money. Never checked if it has a solid top though...

Advertisement