Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of a glass of wine in Dublin?

Options
  • 16-02-2009 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

What's the most you have ever been charged for a glass of wine in Dublin?
    I was in dublin airport last Fri and I ordered a glass of white wine in The Brasserie bar. They wanted €7 for it...I couldn't believe it. It was even a very small glass.
    I was also shocked by the number of people who paid the €7 without even batting an eyelid at the price!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

?8.50 in Winters in Dundrum for a glass (not even quarter bottle) of sauvignon blanc last wk! Couldnt believe it. ?6 for a pinot grigio which I much prefer anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 lcom

Blue Belle wrote: »
    ?8.50 in Winters in Dundrum for a glass (not even quarter bottle) of sauvignon blanc last wk! Couldnt believe it. ?6 for a pinot grigio which I much prefer anyway..

€8.50!!!...that's scandalous! How can pubs justify that. Especially now when more people are drinking at home to avoid the cost of drinking in a pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

lcom wrote: »
    €8.50!!!...that's scandalous! How can pubs justify that. Especially now when more people are drinking at home to avoid the cost of drinking in a pub.

as long as fools people keep paying these prices there will always be someone to charge it!

See, the problem lies with buying in rounds. I went to buy a round and a friend asked for a sauvignon not realising the price. Its hard to go back and say 'sorry the price was extortionate so I got you this instead' ..People end up paying these prices even if they're not happy about it but it was the only sauvignon purchased by us that night thats for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

See, the problem lies with buying in rounds. I went to buy a round and a friend asked for a sauvignon not realising the price. Its hard to go back and say 'sorry the price was extortionate so I got you this instead' ..People end up paying these prices even if they're not happy about it but it was the only sauvignon purchased by us that night thats for sure!
    You really can't complain about something being too expensive if you actually pay for it, especially if it's for something that's not a necessity.

It's like banging your head off a wall and complaining about the headaches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 lcom

That's a good point but there are obviously enough people willing to continue paying these prices to allow the pub owner to get away with it. If Irish people became a bit more vocal about being ripped off, it would be better for us all.

Well as it turned out we did vote with our feet so to speak, we didnt continue drinking wine. I would feel sorry for the likes of a guy bringing a girl on a first date and buying her drink that is that price. What guy is going to turn around and say 'listen love, I like you and all but...' By default people will pay it, they might never return to the place though so essentially the establishment will suffer in the end I suppose.

Advertisement