Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT illiterate colleagues

Options
  • 16-02-2009 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

I work in a small accountancy practice as an accountant however, I may aswell be the inhouse IT consultant.

I'm not a techie by any means but I do know the basics on windows and accounts software. My colleagues are so inept at IT that they'll call me with problems like "I cant connect to the server" when I take a look it's something stupid like the cable was unplugged or "the printer wont work" turns out there's no paper. Anytime someone has a problem with any software they call me and most of the time it's a completely stupid question. We pay for IT support but the easy option for them is to ask me because generally people are too lazy to find out for themselves.

I've started telling people that I dont know because I've learned that if you show any kind of aptitude in IT people just assume that they can badger you with their IT problems.

Anybody experience this in their line of work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

If it isn't part of your role then the easy way to handle it is to just shrug your shoulders and say "Oh I've never seen that problem before hmmm... " then walk away.

People soon get the picture that they need to take the finger out. There is no excuse nowadays for not having a basic apptitude/understanding of PCs.

It's fine being mr nice guy and solving all the IT problems but that won't help you when you're late for a deadline coz titface can't get his printer working. Try explaining to your boss why fixing an IT problem took greater importance than doing the job you're paid for!

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Xcellor wrote: »
    If it isn't part of your role then the easy way to handle it is to just shrug your shoulders and say "Oh I've never seen that problem before hmmm... " then walk away.

People soon get the picture that they need to take the finger out. There is no excuse nowadays for not having a basic apptitude/understanding of PCs.

It's fine being mr nice guy and solving all the IT problems but that won't help you when you're late for a deadline coz titface can't get his printer working. Try explaining to your boss why fixing an IT problem took greater importance than doing the job you're paid for!

X

+1
    IT departments are there for a reason. If someone is too lazy to get off their tod and talk to them, the bully for them. If you are not an IT consultant, don't help them. You will only end up in the situation where you haven't completed your role correctly because you were doing something that was outside of your job description, and you could find yourself in a world of mucky stuff, all because you were trying to help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

OP that just sounds pedantic and whiney.

If you don't want to be obliging then don't..... Not sure why you wanted our endorsement.....

- Also Firefox has a real-time spellchecker which any IT Consultant would find invaluable in protecting them from thread title ironies.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Bren1609 wrote: »
    I work in a small accountancy practice as an accountant however, I may aswell be the inhouse IT consultant.

I'm not a techie by any means but I do know the basics on windows and accounts software. My colleagues are so inept at IT that they'll call me with problems like "I cant connect to the server" when I take a look it's something stupid like the cable was unplugged or "the printer wont work" turns out there's no paper. Anytime someone has a problem with any software they call me and most of the time it's a completely stupid question. We pay for IT support but the easy option for them is to ask me because generally people are too lazy to find out for themselves.

I've started telling people that I dont know because I've learned that if you show any kind of aptitude in IT people just assume that they can badger you with their IT problems.

I hear ya! I am also an accountant and in my place they also have no idea - must be an accountant thing!
    There is always someone that stands looking at the printer / photocopy machine and starts 'why wont this uselessF%&ing thing work!' and then look at me with those sad eyes as to say ' Oh please help me, I am a poor defenceless 25 year old man' Where do I put the paper in? Why is this printer so slow? Why does it copy on A3 and not A4 (beacause you were messing with the settings try to impress the PA with your technical wizardry)..

Oh but there is more! My boss has to walk passed the photocopy machine to get to my desk and then throws the documents on my desk and says 'copy / scan / fax that for me'' talk about lazy or is she to dumb to use the machine? hmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Raiser wrote: »

If you don't want to be obliging then don't..... Not sure why you wanted our endorsement.....

- Also Firefox has a real-time spellchecker which any IT Consultant would find invaluable in protecting them from thread title ironies.[/quote]

Bingo, actually snorted a bit of coffee out my nose when i saw the thread title.

Maybe your colleagues are sick of checking your work for spelling mistakes....dry your eys OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Yeah...an even worse situation is to have IT illiterate colleagues when you actually work in IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

This might not be applicable to the OP but just in case: In a previous job I was promoted to a systems admin role pretty much on the basis that I was the only one in my department that knew anything about computers. Maybe it's worth approaching your boss and seeing about appropriate remuneration for the IT-related tasks that you do? Certainly have a word if people annoying you with stupid questions distracts you from the work you're supposed to be doing. It's important to cover your ass one way or another.

Oh and I also liked the irony in the thread title :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I think you're making a mistake. By being the IT guy in the office, you are making yourself more valuable, and more recession proof.

And there's nothing wrong with being helpful!

PS I hope they don't have a similar attitude about your spelling and grammar skills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Mingey

I understand where you are coming from, it must be a pain in the arse that people come running to you before checking things out first. Maybe you should show them what to do rather than just doing it for them, people like to be self sufficient, I'm sure they don't want to be running to you all the time either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

AARRRGH wrote: »
    PS I hope they don't have a similar attitude about your spelling and grammar skills

and I hope that statement doesnt come back and bit you in the ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Bingo, actually snorted a bit of coffee out my nose when i saw the thread title.
    Maybe your colleagues are sick of checking your work for spelling mistakes....dry your eys OP

Seriously, if you have nothing to add please don't post. The OP asked if anyone had any similar experiences if you don’t have anything constructive to add please don’t post. Going from thread to thread posting non relevant opinions and remarks to build up your profile does not give your opinions any more credibility.

To answer the question, yes I have had similar experiences. In a lot of cases finance people get landed with IT functions when the IT is outsourced. I learned to keep my ideas to myself and if anyone asks I say it was a template I copied off the server or shrug my shoulders. It’s unfortunate that if you show any aptitude in IT it’s more of a burden than an asset. Employers will assume the IT responsibility onto you and colleagues will badger you with questions like the ones you previously mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

If you don't want to do it, just say your not going to do it because everyone keeps asking you and you don't have the time to do your own work. Anyone not understanding of this I wouldn't have time for anyway TBH. If your honest, most people will understand and if they don't, it isn't your problem.
    AARRRGH wrote: »
    I think you're making a mistake. By being the IT guy in the office, you are making yourself more valuable, and more recession proof.

And there's nothing wrong with being helpful!

Not likely TBH, his employer most likely isn't aware that this is the case. If he finds out he'll probably wonder what he is paying the IT department for and someone else could be out of a job. Besides you don't even know if his company is seriously affected by the recession.

Do what your paid to do and fix your own problems, let other people worry about their IT problems unless they are actually your friends and you want to make time for them IMO.

and I hope that statement doesnt come back and bit you in the ass.

You missed my point.

Having poor English skills is a lot worse than having poor IT skills, so I hope your colleagues are more patient than you are. If you want an even playing field, it would be fair for one of them to come here talking about their colleague who can't write properly, and how they're always having to fix his stupid mistakes.

See what I mean?

You are not perfect, so be patient with your IT illiterate colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

I dont get it, whats wrong with the OP's english again?

Census_Pro wrote: »
    I dont get it, whats wrong with the OP's english again?

He edited his post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

It is vitally important to get your written job description and stick to it as closely as you can. If helping other people with IT "difficulties" is a problem and causing your core work to suffer then get it down on paper and record every time you help someone else to do their job.
    Your boss might not see all this helping others and may assume you are slow and a dosser if your core work is being done slowly because you are helping others.
    Do not rely on the others to tell the boss how you help them out with IT stuff, people do not readily admit to difficulties and they may not say anything.
    If the boss is not aware of your extra work he may assume the worst and think you are dossing.
    Account for every minute you are in work. Document and record every time you help someone with a problem.
    It may even help to get some training going in-house to train people in basic IT trouble-shooting skills to save time and money but in these straitened times the money to do this might not be available ( Bank troubles and all that....).
    If you are interested in this line of work and have a head for it an external course or two might be on the cards. Make your IT aptitude official with a qualification or two............
    Then you might be able to leverage a payrise for your extra skills and marketability when the good times roll again................
    Do not hide your good work at IT. Document it, make the boss aware of it, suggest improvements and solutions and get external help and courses if time and money allow. At least get a plan down on paper now for use when the money is freer in the future......
    See if you can get your IT work into your job description so as to avoid the dangers oulined above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

Raiser wrote: »

- Also Firefox has a real-time spellchecker which any IT Consultant would find invaluable in protecting them from thread title ironies.

Is that how you noticed your own spelling and grammar mistakes and needed to edit your post?

Is that how you noticed your own spelling and grammar mistakes and needed to edit your post?

Normally people (me included) couldn't give a damn about someone's English skills, but the point we are trying to make is you are not perfect yourself, so try to be a bit more tolerant of your colleagues weaknesses.

Advertisement