Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What science magazine to subscribe to?

Options
  • 16-02-2009 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

Just wonder what science mag do people recommend.
    I'm mostly interested in Astronomy however i'd also like to get bits on other sciences, including archeology.

Discovery?
    Scientific American?
    New Scientist?
    Popular Science?
    Other?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

I quite like focus its out every month should give it a try

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I don't actually subscribe to any but I do regularly read New Scientist and Scientific American. It makes a change from reading the New England Journal of Medicine or Cell :)

New Scientist is also brilliant for jobs for me.
    I only ever read one issue of focus and that was years ago, at that time I found the articles to be even less academic than New Scientist, it seemed to be geared much more towards making science even more accessible to the public than New Scientist but in doing so had lost more of the scientific integrity. Is it still the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

luckyfrank wrote: »
    I quite like focus its out every month should give it a try

I'm subscribed to it aswell, but I've found its gotten worse as of late.
    The only I like from month to month now is Robert Matthew's column

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RHRN wrote: »
    I'm subscribed to it aswell, but I've found its gotten worse as of late.
    The only I like from month to month now is Robert Matthew's column
    The foreign versions have more pages :( it's edutainment - what do you expect from the magazine , where do you expect the balance between hard science and entertainment and oddities ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I am only a lowly 1st year science student. Never thought I had an interest in science and at the age of 35 am finding out I really love it, anyway sorry, back to your question,
    I don't subscribe to but have bought a couple of issues of News Scientist and I have to say they are truly entertaining!!!
    I love the fact that they are not tooooooo complicated and ~I adore the letters in to the editor and the like

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I used to read Focus when I was a kid. I really liked it back then but it's not really up to much for the more advanced scientific reader. New Scientist is good but often lacking an any real detail. It's a good starting point however.

I find I read more a lot more stuff online now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Scientific American. I pick up the odd copy of New Scientist too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Ive always found Scientific American a good read!

Advertisement