Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skewed view of science

Options
  • 16-02-2009 2:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

i just saw this video on youtube, and wanted to share,

it seems to mainly be aimed at people opposed to evolution an "god the creator", but it also shed some light on why many people seem
    opposed to scientific ideas. its very cleverly done.

i was thininking of posting it in the science forum, but the
    religious overtones are too strong,

although its desired audience is prob in the christianity forum i'd rather
    not hijack their space!

i'd imagine the athiest community here are fairly comfortable with
    most of what science has to offer and so this may be
    preaching to the converted, but i found it interesting,
    if only because it offers an explanation of why some people find
    some scientific ideas hard to accept even in the face of overwhelming evidence. And has maybe made me a little more sympathetic twards
    thoose people, (although thats not the intention of the video).

anyhoo i found it to be an interesting clip.
    the only fault i can find is that it purports to be, or is
    presented in such a way as seeming to be, a clinical/scientific analysis,
    but some of the language is loaded/emotive.

still worth a look though,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h9XntsSEro

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

great video... didn't seem very religious to me (other than the adam and eve part)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Húrin wrote: »
    great video... didn't seem very religious to me (other than the adam and eve part)

It was pretty obvious that he was talking about religion and religious followers, especially when he talked about poeple denying the big bang and evolution. And the part where he explains "theory" is aimed at religious people arguing against science. The argument "but it's only a theory" has popped up here an insane amount of times recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭mickeydevine

Overblood wrote: »
    It was pretty obvious that he was talking about religion and religious followers, especially when he talked about poeple denying the big bang and evolution. And the part where he explains "theory" is aimed at religious people arguing against science. The argument "but it's only a theory" has popped up here an insane amount of times recently.

I agree. Some people only see what they want to see. The whole video is based on religious bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Gah... *in before Húrin goes off on another (a)theism homogeny tangent* I believe Húrin is trying to say that the video doesn't apply to his religious beliefs or how he understands science. I guess he's also going for the tired point that non-religious people are as likely to be affected by personal bias as much as religious people, therefore the video wasn't just aimed at religious people.

Regardless, the point of the video was to not let individuals who have built up an understanding of reality around their beliefs to affect the knowledge that is taught to children. Something I'd hope all of us agree on.

I suppose it can be for anyone with a lack of understanding of the scientific method. But it definitely can be applied flawlessly to the religion/science/creation debates, and I feel that that is it's purpose. But I have no evidence to back up my claim.:pac:

• Advertisement

Ha, I think the lot of you are just very sensitive about religion!
    It was pretty obvious that he was talking about religion and religious followers, especially when he talked about poeple denying the big bang and evolution.

I don't agree that the narrator was referring to religious people especially. For instance, you hear that devaluation of theory from deniers of global warming. That's a debate that doesn't really have a religious dimension, unlike creationism.
    I guess he's also going for the tired point that non-religious people are as likely to be affected by personal bias as much as religious people, therefore the video wasn't just aimed at religious people.
    Indeed. I found it to be referring to no particular debate. As I said, it has ramifications for both global warming deniers and creationists (which is not a synonym for religious people).
    Regardless, the point of the video was to not let individuals who have built up an understanding of reality around their beliefs to affect the knowledge that is taught to children.
    Were children mentioned in the video at all??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Ha, I think the lot of you are just very sensitive about religion!

No i'm just very sensitive to the line of reasoning that thinks if you repeat a point ad nauseum it will make sense eventually.
    Were children mentioned in the video at all??

Listen to the last sentence in the video.

No i'm just very sensitive to the line of reasoning that thinks if you repeat a point ad nauseum it will make sense eventually.

What are you referring to?

My various arguments that refute the supposed supremacy of atheism in religious discussions?

As I said, it has ramifications for both global warming deniers and creationists (which is not a synonym for religious people).

Ah here! Yes it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Indeed. I found it to be referring to no particular debate. As I said, it has ramifications for both global warming deniers and creationists (which is not a synonym for religious people).

Synonym implies it goes in both directions. It's incorrect to assume a religious person is a creationist, but by definition a creationist is a religious person.

• Advertisement
Advertisement