Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drum Set Brands

Options
  • 16-02-2009 1:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I'm an advance drummer looking to ditch my expanded Pearl Target for an essentially better kit. I'd be looking to spend around 600-900 euro on a 6 piece kit, triple tom tom style. I've been looking at some Mapex M-Birch on ebay for around 600 sterling, can anybody over some product feedback or perhaps recommend another brand?

Oh btw please feel free to rip on brands and offer your own biased thoughts :P your opinions and hurtful words are appreciated

Commence ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

I don't know if an electronic kit would be what you are looking for, but I've got a set of Roland HD-1's which I have to say are excellent, and would cost around about what you are looking to spend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 TheWolf-IsLoose

Actually, that would be handy as i'm moving into a new apartment soon. Are those mesh heads?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Brien

I'v had the joy of recording with a gretsch kit not too long ago, and it trumps every other kit i'v heard. maybe not for playing in a small apartment though
    pacman.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

For an acoustic kit, have you concidered premier? And do you really need the third tom?

http://www.thomann.de/ie/premier_cabria_xpk_jazz_22mf.htm

Edit: For an apartment, an electric kit might be a good idea, but in my expererience with them, to geta nice one you'd have to be spending about 1.5k
    I myself have never had an electric kit, but from a few mates that have tried verius ones, thats the general feel of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Riveam

If you're moving to an apartment and want to practice regularly then you haven't got much choice than electric, unless you're gonna go the dead heads route.

However, I've never played an electric that I'd be happy to have as my main kit. For me they're a novelty, and nothing beats a good acoustic.

Yeah gretch are quality! Only problem is they're gonna cost between 5 and 7 grand min. Have a look at the Taye range from Ayotte. That's what I have at the mo. I already had a nice pearl snare, so I use that as my main snare and the taye one as a tuned up timbale kinda sound. Works for me!

I assume you have all the cymbals you need/want already. Tis a pity Drum depot's gone, they had some nice Sonor's for around a grand.

Keep an eye on the buy and sell would be my best advice. Especially now in the post xmas season. Lotta bargains.

Peace, love and luck brother drummer!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Riveam

Riveam wrote: »
    Yeah gretch are quality! Only problem is they're gonna cost between 5 and 7 grand min.

I eat my words:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/gretsch_new_classic_standard_2sn.htm

Sorry, still out of your range though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Hey
    The Mapex M Birch is a nice kit, if ye can stretch to it though, the Pro M us a different animal. I got mine for a grand and I've never looked back.
    Maple trumps Birch any day of the week.
    I've had studio engineers ask about the thing, they can't believe the punch in them.
    Then again, in an apartment, potential neighbor baiters

Just My 2 cent

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Hey
    The Mapex M Birch is a nice kit, if ye can stretch to it though, the Pro M is a different animal. I got mine for a grand and I've never looked back.
    Maple trumps Birch any day of the week.
    I've had studio engineers ask about the thing after they recorded it... they can't believe the punch in them.
    Then again, in an apartment, potential neighbor baiters

Just My 2 cent

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

When you say triple tom, do you mean 3 rack toms, and 1 floor tom?
    Do you have any prefered sizes? Any prefered shell material? Maple, Birch?
    Do you gig alot?
    Check out the Pearl Visions line. Prices can range from 755 for the wrapped finishes on the VX line, to e999 for the lacquered finishes on the maple and birch kits;VSX/VBX. Hardware is included in those packs, its the 900 series. I can vouch for it. Its some of the best HW out there for that price.
    they're a great price, and a great kit.

In my experience, DW and Tama make great kits and HW, but are over priced. DW extremly so. But check out their PDP line. Might be something there you may like.

Advertisement