Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer Aspire 6930

Options
  • 16-02-2009 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Ahoy.

I was thinking of getting one of these because it's much better value than the Dell Studio 15 I was also pondering getting. More RAM, better graphics card, bigger hard drive and so on. Found it in the Argos catalogue for €799 (although any Argos I've taken a look in, namely two in Limerick and one in Cork, seems to be "Out of stock" which leads me to believe they haven't even gotten them in yet) but as I'm not really well informed on laptop brands I was wondering how other people have fared with Acer products?

Are they reliable and well-built?
    Is the copious amounts of sh1t-ware that'll come installed on the lappy easy to uninstall?
    Would you recommend this particular model?

Thanks a bunch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Acer are actually a good laptop..they're kicking Dell's ass on pricing at the moment..
    What's the exact spec.
    Post here and we'll let you know if it's good or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Demondaze

Well, it's actually just the brand reliability I was worried about actually... I'm pretty confident of the spec. It certainly seems to beat what I can get from Dell for a similar price. But if anyone's interested or wants to recommend something else to me, feel free. The specs are:

Intel Corde 2 Duo T6400 2 GHz
    4 GB DDR2
    250 GB SATA
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 9600 GT 1GB
    Multi-format Optical (not Blu-ray)
    HDMI (something I'd like whatever I purchase to have)

Actually, I must find out if it has CD/DVD writing capabailities. It doesn't specify and I just assumed it did...

The Dell has....

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T6400 2.0 GHz
    3072MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
    250GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
    256MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3450
    Fixed Internal DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive

The Dell has come down in price a bit from the last time I checked, actually. It's €690 for the above spec now; it was about 700 and odd last Wednesday. The Acer is €799. Dell's fortnightly offer-change must've ticked around again. Free shipping > Free Colour Change.

So actually pretty similar now that the offer's updated... decisions, decisions...

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭s982102

er...I don't think argos has written the details correctly.
    I was very interested in this acer laptop as well.And I tried to search the price from other website.However,I couldn't find the same spec from anywhere else.
    Now I am going to buy the 6530 which is the 6930 AMD CPU version.Try this one:http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=391509&view=detailed#ProductTabs.
    You may be interested as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭mcmc

Demondaze i just picked up that laptop in argos up in belfast on saturday. Cost me 670 euros after changing over my money to pounds.

Came with loads of crappy game installed, came off easy aswell as MS office 60 day trial and McAfee. All uninstalled just fine.

I have not really got to stress test it or anything but Bioshock and Fallout 3 both run fine on high settings.

The cd drive is a cd/dvd writer too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

I'm still chuffed to bits with my 6935g (essentially same laptop with faster cpu/media controls). These Acers look really slick, and are very reliable. I wouldn't touch another Dell, although last one I had was 2/3 years ago so maybe they've come on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 moose52c

Just ordered this laptop cant wait for bluray movies!! good spec oh and really good prise!!

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Acer_Aspire_6930G_Laptop_LX.AUU0X.214/version.asp

mcmc wrote: »
    Demondaze i just picked up that laptop in argos up in belfast on saturday. Cost me 670 euros after changing over my money to pounds.

Came with loads of crappy game installed, came off easy aswell as MS office 60 day trial and McAfee. All uninstalled just fine.

I have not really got to stress test it or anything but Bioshock and Fallout 3 both run fine on high settings.

The cd drive is a cd/dvd writer too.

Jaysus, for that kind of a saving it'd almost be worth my while going all the way from Limerick to the North to get it... except knowing my luck it'd probably be out of stock or I'd encounter a problem and have to flippin' take it back. :o

Nice to hear that the rubbish that comes installed is easy to uninstall though. I hate having unnecessary programs cluttering up my desktop (or auto-starting, or working away in the background being useless and slowing stuff down)

Still deciding which I'll get but it's good to know Acer are a reliable brand anyhow.

Checked two Argos stores in Limerick today and neither had this in stock. When I check Argos.ie its not even on the website, despite being in the catalogue, but it is on the .co.uk one.

Does anyone know what's the story with the availability in Argos stores in the Republic? And is it possible to buy from Argos.co.uk if you live over here?

Advertisement