Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antes - Why?

Options
  • 15-02-2009 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭

What do antes do, what is the logic and reasoning behind them.

I only play Stars SNGs so the only time I play with antes is in the latter stage of those games and I don't see their point.

On Stars the level goes from 100/200 to 100/200/25.

I don't see how this is any different to instead going from 100/200 to 150/300 like other structures would.

This is not a level btw, genuinely haven't the foggiest why other people go 'brilliant xxx has introduced antes'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

I think its just to speed up the game. It is slightly different to just increasing blinds, as everyone has to ante, and the pot is more worth stealing, but no biggie. Nothing to do with this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antes_(people) Theres a bit here that makes some sense http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betting_(poker)#Ante

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

They're better than just having bigger blinds IMO as it's easier to steal; people don't feel attached to antes like they do to blinds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Good players can have a real edge over people who don't properly adjust to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Lurker1977

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

I love them allows you to up your aggression this structure is so much better now on i poker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

What do antes do, what is the logic and reasoning behind them.

Generate action
    loosen range's
    Make pots worth betting/gambling for

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭DrJFF

antes completely change the dynamics of a game
    if you fail to adjust you will be "anted up"

simple example blinds 200/400 wit a 50ante at a 9handed table generates a pot of 1050

in comparison wit 200/400 wit no ante at a 9handed table generates a pot of only 600

if you open is to 3x for example wit antes your risking 1200 to win 1050 so you don't have to be as successful in "stealing"

if you are at a table wer players don't adjust to the ante this is a huge advantage cos that means you can even reduce your open size to make it even money to steal the blinds

but also if you competant and comfortable playing flops you odds of defending your blinds wit somewhat marginal hands also is correct when it would not be without antes

example

stacks 20k effective
    200/400 9handed 50 ante

(BB) HERO: QTdd

VILLIAN opens to 1100

you have to call 700 more into 2150 which lays over 3/1 on a call

even if you polarise the villians range to all hands that have you in bad shape AA-TT, AKs-ATs, AKoff-AToff, you only need 2.09/1 to call against this range and that doesn't include all the other hands the villan could be raising wit

general rule is the higher the ante the more hands you have to play

• Registered Users Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭Degag

Even with antes, stars is a lot less crapshooty than ipoker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

They're stupid in live games because players arent used to them so the dealer has to keep having to remind players to post them which takes even more time. Then there will always be a time when the dealer rakes them in and someone has to say "hold on a minute theres not 9 antes there?", he right theres only 8 antes scooped in. Then everyone has to flap around trying to determine who didnt post their blind wasting even more time. Then players who are familiar with eachother make playfull accusations against eachother as to who didnt post their ante "Its you Mick i know it is lol", Mick responds "No its not its you ya spastic lol". Then the table captain with a lot of chips throws in an ante and says "I know i paid mine but fcuk it just come on lol". Then the table in general says "lol". Then the dealer deals the hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Grafter

• Advertisement
Advertisement