Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Householders in Australia to be charged for each flush of the toilet

Options
  • 15-02-2009 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Householders in Australia to be charged for each flush of the toilet :eek:

Probably more of a brown issue than a green issue. :p

The scheme would replace the current system, which sees sewage charges based on a home's value - not its waste water output.

CSIRO Policy and Economic Research Unit member Jim McColl and Adelaide University Water Management Professor Mike Young plan to promote the move to state and federal politicians and experts across the country

What beats me is how are they going to monitor it? Will they shove a camera down every dunny in the country, a real privacy issue. :D

Mahatma You can fill us all in on this one seen as your down under. :D

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,,24659589-5005369,00.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

It'd cost more to monitor than the revenue from it could ever generate. Like the dog licensing system back home. No way it'll ever get into state law, let alone creep into the other states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It'd cost more to monitor than the revenue from it could ever generate. Like the dog licensing system back home. No way it'll ever get into state law, let alone creep into the other states.
    It would probably get into the UK before Australia, it would give the authorities more of a clue to how many is living in the household. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Volumetric Charges as opposed to Rates based Charges, this makes sense, I dont think they will be puttin cameras down the toilet just yet, tho if they need to finance the scheme there are places on the interweb you can sell that live feed for a lot of money ;)

we are in a drought (yes I know 60% of Queensland is also flooded) so whatever measures they can come up with to ensure that I have water for me tae in the mornins is good, I'm more worried about the fluoride they've added to the water supply recently, really fecks up the taste of me Lyons Triangly taebags

Where the hell did you get the teabags from ?
    I'm stuck with poxy lipton

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

My Mammy loves me, and twas me birthday a few days ago, teabags, Chef Ketchup and Tayto Smokey Bacon :D heavenly

I'm not sure about this policy here tho, read the comments on that page about Berlin, once the levels of water dropped the problems became more exacerbated, like blockages and leaky pipes

• Advertisement

Big time, sewer pipes have to reach whats called self cleaning velocity to avoid the entire system getting septic and clogging, It'll be back to the thunder box if people don't keep flushing, The big mains are pressurized, but the links back to individual homes are gravity fed, and if they have too much solid mass, for the amount of water goin through them, I'm pretty sure it'll cause some problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

People will be ****ting down laneways and in fields.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Volumetric Charges as opposed to Rates based Charges, this makes sense, I don't think they will be putting cameras down the toilet just yet, tho if they need to finance the scheme there are places on the interweb you can sell that live feed for a lot of money ;)

we are in a drought (yes I know 60% of Queensland is also flooded) so whatever measures they can come up with to ensure that I have water for me tae in the mornins is good, I'm more worried about the fluoride they've added to the water supply recently, really fecks up the taste of me Lyons Triangly taebags
    Happy Birthday. :)

My first time ever seeing economy flush toilets was in Vic, they are over here now ffs and it p**es rain all the time. The Irish Government might think of charging for each flush to get extra revenue.

Advertisement