Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

installing an invisible shower

Options
  • 15-02-2009 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭

New house and i want to get electrician install a shower. The bathroom is upstairs and the landing is just over the fuse box

He said he could chase the wall for the cable, or cover it on the wall where it would be seen. I do not want to get into plastering over and painting and do not want unsightly cable either. Any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

If the fusebox is on an outside wall and if the outside wall is dry-lined, then you may be able to fish the cable up into the attic between the plasterboard and the insulation. If it's a solid wall then it will need to be chased.

You might find a route by lifting floorboards but that tends to be messy too, especially if the floors are tongue and groove and were laid prior to the stud walls going in.

Electric showers require a pretty heavy cable (10 mm sq. conductors) so it's not particularly easy to hide out of sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭RLJ

Thanks for your reply
    Pete67 wrote: »
    If the fusebox is on an outside wall and if the outside wall is dry-lined, then you may be able to fish the cable up into the attic between the plasterboard and the insulation. If it's a solid wall then it will need to be chased.
    Sorry should have said the fusebox is indoors on a solid wall as it is a semi detached and that is the walll betwwn me and next house
    Electric showers require a pretty heavy cable (10 mm sq. conductors) so it's not particularly easy to hide out of sight.
    It is an 8.5 kw shower. The kw affects the cable doesn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

the length of the run determines the cable really unless it's 9.5/10 kw where you'd want 10sq minimum.it'll prob say in the manual the max run on 6sq cable .
    for this job you'd normally lift a board over the box ,as pete said go straight up to attic for the pull-cord and down to shower the shortest route possible .i assume you don't have an existing electric shower.if the cable routes are dry-lined or studded you might avoid chasing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭RLJ

i assume you don't have an existing electric shower.
    No. Thank for the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

10sq will futureproof the shower if you ever swap it out later for a bigger shower .but 6sq on a short run should do for the 8.5 kw

• Advertisement
Advertisement