Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flavoured Coffee, where to buy?

Options
  • 15-02-2009 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I don't think Irish or UK coffee manufacturers have got the hang of flavoured coffee yet. I've been trying to buy Hazelnut / Vanilla / Cinnamon etc. but places like Whittard seem to do very artificial & cloying types. US websites are funny about shipping outside the US, as in they don't.

Short of waiting for visitors from the US to bring me over 5lb bags of 8 o'Clock Coffee (that being the nicest I've had to date), does anyone have any sources of decent grown up flavoured coffee that doesn't taste like instant muck or half a bottle of syrup in with your americano?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Sorry to be a tad brutal but all flavoured coffee is muck. If you insist on desecrating the true flavour of coffee your best bet are the various syrups.

Search this forum for 'syrup' for stockists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Coffee already has an excellent flavour all of its own. Coffee flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

(Bad language warning....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Beat me to it Mr E.

mochachino, cappuchino, frappachino, Al Pacino

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Oh my god.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭04KY

I'm interested in this too. OP if you find anywhere can you let me know?

Doubt we will get any help from the posters on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

its not for me either but this place stocks it along with good old coffee flavour also

Gurman's House of Taste
    Unit 6 McMahon Building Demesne, Dundalk Co. Louth

* (085)7172963

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

lovertits wrote: »
    I don't think Irish or UK coffee manufacturers have got the hang of flavoured coffee yet. I've been trying to buy Hazelnut / Vanilla / Cinnamon etc.

http://www.frankundschuster.de/

They're online in Germany, you'll need to Babelfish the site, and I'm not sure if they'll post this far, but worth a try

Hazelnut is very finely flavoured, I brought some back form Germany last trip. Must get more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

If Dublin-based Avoca do some i think. But it will taste awful no doubt - surely good coffee on it's own tastes factastic enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 byrdamus

Lovertits,

You must be American to have asked the question!! :D I get the same reactions when I try to find it. I've been having my family post it to me. I gave up on the flavoured coffee in lieu of the flavoured coffee mate because I got tired of having to make two pots of coffee (husband is Irish, and acts like the flavoured stuff will make the hair on his chest fall off - so I had to make him the plain). Is just easier for me to make regular coffee, and flavour it with CM. But am about to run out of that again! I stocked up my last visit home, but it's been a while since I've been back. Am currently online now looking for flavoured syrups, because the only place that sells the CM is in the UK, and they charge a fortune for it!

Let me know if you've found any place since you've been searching!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

As far as flavoured coffees go - Porto Rico Importing Co in New York do good/non-overblown beans. They ship to Ireland as well.

http://www.portorico.com/store/page13.html

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭thecountessp

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, checking a few out, may order some.
    To the coffee purists; I understand why you say that flavours are bad - most flavoured coffee is muck, and I do love a normal coffee, just drinking 20 cups a week, I like a little variety. Again, the best stuff I've come across is that 8 O'Clock Coffee hazelnut. So good 'twas, that even the hardened no sugar, no milk, no poncey flavours types where I work helped demolish my supply in a week.

My sister has a bag of white chocolate macadamia peanut butter truffle nonsense, along with all that Irish Creme yuck. Not for me.

I'm not nuts about syrup, as I actually don't want super-sweet coffee, (or late onset diabetes). I don't put sugar in my regular coffee, as that kills the proper coffee taste too.

I'll let you know what I find, at any rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

try barnies in Eason on O'Connell Street, they have a very limited supply but some of what they have is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Geeeeeenerally, I'd say no to flavoured coffee, but... (And it's a big but) my aunt in Canada sent us over a bag of coffee 'flavored' with maple syrup a year or three ago - I think it was roasted in with it - didn't taste like your usual muck at all. I'd murder it come Winter.

It's not oversweetened, it's not overpowering, it's just right.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

You can get hazelnut and a couple of other flavours in Fallon & Byrne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CoffeeBean

I too have been trying to find a suitable alternative to 8oclock Hazlenut. I see they now accept international orders via the telephone, but warn about customs / import issues on receipt. oh Dear....
    BIG HOWEVER: I was put onto Jaccs Coffee (www.jaccscoffee.co.uk) some time back - and have ordered a variety of delicious flavoured coffees. They offer free delivery in the UK (not sure about Ireland) and prices are ok. (currently POUNDS 2.99 per 100g bag / or buy 2 bags for a Fiver or if you're willing to buy an entire kilo of the same flavour = its just under 20 Quid.)
    I also found www.coffee-direct.co.uk - prices start at 9.99 for 227g incl delivery; and www.smithscoffee.co.uk priced at 5.49 per 250g plus 5Quid delivery.

I think I'll be going back to Jaccs Coffee simply because I've used them before and I know they are really lovely.

Hope this helps you all :)

Advertisement