Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas CCTV Look How Clear You Are

Options
  • 15-02-2009 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.luas.ie/news.php
    To view how clear Luas CCTV is and to find out more about it please click here

http://www.luas.ie/page.php?name=CCTV_Look_How_Clear_You_Are

There is CCTV on board all trams and at all Luas Stops. CCTV is one of a number of Luas safety features, others include the emergency button and emergency handles which are located inside the tram by the doors, the button allows you to talk directly to the driver, pulling the handle will bring the tram to a stop. There is a penalty for wrongly using these features. There is also an emergency help point located at each stop, a freephone number to call Luas Customer Care 1800 300 604, Luas Security Personnel and Customer Service officers.

CCTV as a safety feature is there to assure passnegers and to deter those intent on misbehaving on board the tram or at the stops.

The viewing of Luas CCTV is in accordance with Data Protection Laws and is used on occasion by An Garda Siochana and Veolia Transport to prosecute those who act in an unsocial manner breaking Luas Bye Laws on and around the system.

To see how clear the Luas CCTV actually is please click on the poster below that is being displayed across all Luas Red & Green Line stops.

CCTV Look How Clear You Are

Should you require further information on Luas CCTV please call Luas Customer Care on Freephone 1800 300 604
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I'm impressed! Good to see the clarity of the picture as compared to some of the awful footage that is taken on bank/shop CCTVs that appear on Crimeline. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

Considering Luas has been running for many years, and there has been a few CCTV poster campaigns before, how many people have been prosecuted for anti-social/criminal behaviour?

Without meaning to sound negative, I really doubt the scumbags who are off their face at the many Luas stops care that Luas has high quality CCTV. Neither do the young teenagers who cause hassle in the evenings, who know they are too young for anything to be done.

I was on a Luas about two weeks ago and a gang of 10 teenagers boarded the tram at Suir Road. They ran throughout the carriage screaming at passengers. They then started racially taunting a Chinese girl who got quite upset. They then jumped off at Fatima stop. This was not a one-off, as I've seen it happen many times. This incident just stood out as it was particularly nasty.

Between the scum hanging around Luas stops and the gangs of people boarding the open carriages, Luas is fast becoming a no go area for many ordinary passengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Fantastic quality

So how many prosecutions have they done using CCTV as an aid?
    Why do I pay a fare to share a tram with cider drinking louts on the red line? Is that what I pay for?

And don't get me starting on people who stand in the doorways while the driver tries to close the doors. They try to finish their cigarettes and hold up the entire tram :mad:

Less technology, more security staff on the ground!

Edit: Maybe you've seen the massive guys that Irish Rail employ as security, that's what's needed. Wouldn't mess with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

MiniD wrote: »
    Considering Luas has been running for many years, and there has been a few CCTV poster campaigns before, how many people have been prosecuted for anti-social/criminal behaviour?

Without meaning to sound negative, I really doubt the scumbags who are off their face at the many Luas stops care that Luas has high quality CCTV. Neither do the young teenagers who cause hassle in the evenings, who know they are too young for anything to be done.

I was on a Luas about two weeks ago and a gang of 10 teenagers boarded the tram at Suir Road. They ran throughout the carriage screaming at passengers. They then started racially taunting a Chinese girl who got quite upset. They then jumped off at Fatima stop. This was not a one-off, as I've seen it happen many times. This incident just stood out as it was particularly nasty.

Between the scum hanging around Luas stops and the gangs of people boarding the open carriages, Luas is fast becoming a no go area for many ordinary passengers.

If things have reached the level described above it is well over due that plain clothes gardai travelled on the Luas and make some arrests. Will it happen - I doubt it! The situation on some Dublin Bus routes has been like this for years and the powers that be will not take on the thugs. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

Sorry for being a bit sceptic, but I suspect that Luas passenger in the promotion was singled out because she is photogenic. Show us the face of a knuckle-scraper in a hoodie ... and I might be impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Mikemac asks....
    So how many prosecutions have they done using CCTV as an aid?
    Why do I pay a fare to share a tram with cider drinking louts on the red line? Is that what I pay for?

And followed by an observation from MiniD....

Now When I posted on this very topic on a different thread I was taken to task for being "classist" and inferring some form of bias against the social makeup of the Red Line`s passenger base.

However,it is heartening to see that the Veolia response is actual Security Staff presence as this entire CCTV "thing" tends to be vastly overblown as an effective deterrent.

However,it is of little importance whether Luas employ a battalion of Storm Troopers or a battery of Hi Rez CCTV lenses IF the Courts Service is not onside in this.

As MiniD witnessed,the scale and type of stuff now being precticed on the Red Line is verging on seriously criminal and most certainly should merit the full rigours of the law.
    However,those feral youths are presently rampant from Bluebell to James`s and are in some cases known by name to Luas staff...BUT the real problem is that many of them are already "In the System" either on some form of Juvenile Liason or Diversion scheme or even on curfew bail from the childrens court.

Make no mistake but these are not "Children" in the acepted sense of the word but rather the represent a very considerable physical threat to any adult that challenges them.

I would caution MiniD to always keep your eyes runing around the carriage and to have an escape route pre-planned should they decide to pick on U.

Sadly the endless loop of the Juvenile Courts roundabout ensures that by the time these individuals reach the age of majority their anti-social skills are honed to perfection and are well suited to the tasks which will be set for their onward progression.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0216/1233867938518.html
    Pickpockets, vandals on Luas prompt extra security
    OLIVIA KELLY

EXTRA SECURITY staff have been deployed on Dublin’s two Luas lines in recent months because of an increase in crime and disorderly behaviour, including pickpocketing, vandalism and begging.

Veolia, the company which operates Luas, has told Dublin City Council’s transport committee that the Red and Green lines have developed their own distinct problems.

Between five and 10 incidents of pickpocketing are reported each day on the Red line, which runs from Connolly station to Tallaght. These crimes are concentrated at Heuston station, and the stretch of line between Heuston and Connolly, which runs through the north of the city centre.

The Heuston to the Red Cow Roundabout section of the line has the greatest problem, with youths engaged in anti-social behaviour such as vandalism, pulling the emergency cord, and intimidating passengers.

A significant problem with drug addicts and alcoholics begging and otherwise creating a nuisance at the stops between Heuston and Connolly has also emerged, Veolia’s liaison officer Dan Quill said.

“On the Red line between Connolly and Heuston, we have problems with begging, and other problems with people who are dependent on alcohol and drugs. We have had full-time security since November on the Jervis Street and Abbey Street stops.”

Additional security staff have been placed on the Red line trams at night on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, Mr Quill said

“The problem there is youths misbehaving – drinking, pulling the emergency cords, swinging off the bars . . . The security staff on the trams also get off at each stop they see anyone begging or loitering and ask them to leave the stop.”

However, despite the extra security, the incidence of pickpocketing remains high, Mr Quill said.

“Pickpocketing has been a problem, a very serious problem, and it still continues. There are about five to 10 incidents every day and I am aware of nine people who have been arrested and brought before the courts. One of them had 16 incidents before he was dealt with by the courts.”

While begging was a problem at the St Stephen’s Green terminus of the Green line to Sandyford, there was less criminal activity on this line. “Problems do not manifest themselves as often on the Green line as the Red,” Mr Quill said.

Extra security had been placed on the Green line trams on weekend nights, largely to deal with “disorderly youths” going to and from nightclubs in Harcourt Street, he said. However, the problems there were more related to traffic hazards.

“There is significant disruption of the tram line between Harcourt Street and St Stephen’s Green, at various times, not just at night. You have cyclists going the wrong way down the tram line on Harcourt Street, pedal cars and rickshaws, usually very poorly lit, travelling on the line in both directions, and taxis stopping on the line.”

Veolia had help from the Garda with these problems, but a strong security presence on the trams would be necessary for the foreseeable future, Mr Quill said.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Emergency handles?

Last time I was on a tram that needed them in broad daylight (some lovely apples in their mother's eyes riding the tram..on the back windscreen wipers) the emergency handles didn't work when a guy used it. He had to walk all the way up the tram to report it to the driver..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'd love to see Veolia publish the images of louts on the trams - but I suspect data protection would stop that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

tbf I'd do her tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Rawr

Is it just me, or does it feel like they just got someone to pose in a Luas and then Photoshopped it into a 'CCTV' image?

I have little doubt that Luas has good CCTV, but the image on that cover looks a little *too* good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Stop the dole of the parents and this problem would be instantly sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

This is almost as intimidating as the TFL poster promoting CCTV on the London bus network. It was removed shortly after.

http://www.wired.com/politics/security/news/2002/11/56152

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

That's a creepy poster alright..:) Make you feel the villians and the company are both threats to your welfare. Anyway, great recording all this stuff - how much of it ever proves useful?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Rawr

This is almost as intimidating as the TFL poster promoting CCTV on the London bus network. It was removed shortly after.

http://www.wired.com/politics/security/news/2002/11/56152

Damn that's scary! Arrrrg!!! The Eye-Ships are attacking London!!:eek::D

IIMII wrote: »
    That's a creepy poster alright..:) Make you feel the villians and the company are both threats to your welfare. Anyway, great recording all this stuff - how much of it ever proves useful?
    Having CCTV recordings along with digital records from Oyster the authorities have pretty much everything they need to know about your movements stored on a data base.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Rawr wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does it feel like they just got someone to pose in a Luas and then Photoshopped it into a 'CCTV' image?

I have little doubt that Luas has good CCTV, but the image on that cover looks a little *too* good.

Apparently the LUAS's CCTV is one of the best and clearest systems around. A mate of mine saw the pictures at the control centre and said they were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Art(h)ur

Don't get carried away, lads - just because watching everybody all the time is possible it doesn't mean it actually is or will soon be done. In order for that to happen everybody would have their own 'guardian angel' sitting in front of cctv screens so half of the population would live their lives and the other half would watch them. This doesn't sound possible at all and it definitely does not happen at the moment. Otherwise every single culprit would get caught - there are cameras all over the cities, in shops, public transport etc. so whatever you do anywhere, chances are you'll get recorded. But still a lot of crimes do not get punished, despite all those cameras. Partly because the images are only stored for relatively short time and when the guards (or anybody else) request some footage, it's already gone.
    So although it would be technically possible to watch everybody all the time, that's not the point of the ever present cctv. The point is to make you think that you are being watched all the time - even though it's not true as you're only watched occasionally and most of the footage produced by all cctv systems is never watched by anybody at all. But you can never tell if you are watched or not at any particular moment. That's why you have to 'behave' all the time - simply because of the uncertainty and the fear that you will be seen when committing a crime so you're afraid you will be caught easily. Again - it's not about us being watched all the time, it's about us thinking we are being watched all the time and - as a result - refraining from breaking the law.
    In order to make people believe they are being watched constantly, certain PR activities take place like publishing accounts of criminals caught thanks to the 'magic' of cctv or posters like the London one. They are designed to scare people, to make them afraid of committing a crime because of being overwhelmed by the thought 'Someone somewhere is watching me right now'. The fact that this is not true doesn't really matter - as long as it stops people from any anti-social behaviour. It's wrong but efficient -> correct (for the governments, police etc.)
    And it's not just my private theory - it's a 200-year-old idea of a panopticon coming to life with a help of modern technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

It does not matter how much security you have on the transport systems in Dublin, ie DART/ LUAS/ Dublin Bus

You will always need a overt / covert Police presence like in the UK.

I have seen BTP in action in London and they deal with all sorts, ie beggers,tickets touts, football hoolligans, pick pockets, terrorism etc etc.

Why cant the Garda get it together on this subject, its obvious that there is criminals using the transport system.

UK have the British Transport Police which is the National Police service for the Railways.

We need something like this over here in Ireland, its about time that commuters were able to travel in a safe manner without intimidation from criminal elements.

see website
    www.btp.police.uk

Red Alert wrote: »
    Apparently the LUAS's CCTV is one of the best and clearest systems around. A mate of mine saw the pictures at the control centre and said they were excellent.

So what if the crims are all wearing hooded tops with baseball hat underneath how is CCTV any use to the operator in the control centre going to be able to capture an image.??

All he can do is relay description to security personnel if they are in the area.

This does not stop crime, you need Police patrolling the trams as well as the staff.

I have observed this in Croydon, Surrey, UK on the tramlink system they have, especially East Croydon station which was a hot spot for gangs.

• Advertisement

:eek:

CCTV460x276.jpg

LOL, your funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

If things have reached the level described above it is well over due that plain clothes gardai travelled on the Luas and make some arrests. Will it happen - I doubt it! The situation on some Dublin Bus routes has been like this for years and the powers that be will not take on the thugs. :mad:

i agree..in france my dad did some work with the irish army..he brought us over on a holiday...we went on the metro and there was a real scruffy looking man with a big dog...turns out my dad new him and he was undercover trying to catch fare skippers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

nearly two years dead.....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Please don't bump old threads.

Have a read of the Charter when you get a chance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement